The Longest Mod, Episode II: The Octopus Menace (Mods posted 6/25)

As a bonus double feature for my from scratch Ambush Pz VIB mod, I'll be releasing (hopefully early next week) my version of the very late war "Octopus" camouflage scheme seen on s.Pz.Abt. 511 vehicles. While this battalion fought the western Allies, it's not beyond the realm of possibility that a few vehicles might have made a wrong turn and ended up fighting the Soviets.

GM_PzVIB_Octopus_Preview.jpg

The CMMOS version will have the usual bells and whistles with armored skirts mounted or removed, optional kill rings, a complete Abteilung's vehicle tactical numbers in the white stencil style, and white balkenkreuz on turret side and hull rear. I adopted the white-only balkenkreuz as it's highly likely that the black center would have been omitted on the predominantly olivgrun vehicle. Non-CMMOS versions will also be provided with fewer options due to size constraints (as before).

[ June 25, 2005, 02:14 PM: Message edited by: Gordon ]

Amazing stuff, mister Gordon !

I've read in an Osprey book about the KT that this kind of camouflage scheme was used in the very late stages of the war.

Can we suppose that, in april-may 1945, some external equipments might be missing, due to shortages ? I'm thinking about towing cables and Notek light...

Just a thought smile.gif

Originally posted by Bogdan:

Amazing stuff, mister Gordon !

I've read in an Osprey book about the KT that this kind of camouflage scheme was used in the very late stages of the war.

Can we suppose that, in april-may 1945, some external equipments might be missing, due to shortages ? I'm thinking about towing cables and Notek light...

Just a thought smile.gif

I considered doing this, but all my references showed the vehicle fully equipped, so I left everything on. I suppose I could provide that as an option, but then I'd have to delay the release for about a week as I won't be able to work on it further until then.

Originally posted by Brent Pollock:

I've always wondered who thought up the camo schemes...was there an actual Department of Camo or somesuch...or was it more, "hey, look what Schmidt just came up with!"

A little of both actually. At various times during the war the Germans had standardized patterns and at other times it was up to individual units.

• 2 weeks later...

Ok, as before, the CMMOS version with all the bells and whistles, and a non-CMMOS with fenders and a non-CMMOS version without fenders are now available on CMMOD.

As a new twist, since these are late war and there was a wee bit of a supply problem, some of the hull side mounted "kit" can be left off.