Fair or not?

I noticed on CMBO several things have been left out :mad: such as: an arty/mortar crew doesn't have small arns to fight back with when inf gets close, or tanks cannot ram/run over enemy guns or troops, German tanks aren't equiped with flexibke MGs(from what I have seen 1/3 had them), or last but not least on a large maps on map arty such as 75&105s cannot indirectly fire. :mad:

Originally posted by Gen. J-sun:

an arty/mortar crew doesn't have small arns to fight back with when inf gets close

Was fixed in CMBB.

or tanks cannot ram/run over enemy guns or troops
Running over guns (if they can be knocked out) is in, running over squad infantry is not.

German tanks aren't equiped with flexibke MGs(from what I have seen 1/3 had them)
I guess the rest did not have any. At least this is the first time in years that I hear this complaint.

or last but not least on a large maps on map arty such as 75&105s cannot indirectly fire.
This is intentional. The game would have to check if the shell's trajectory doesn't hit anything in the path to determine if it's possible to fire indirect, which isn't in the game as far as I know.

Dschugaschwili

Not to mention the amount of time it would take for artillery to properly emplace and set up the careful survey stakes needed to have anything like halfway accurate indirect fire. This would take a lot longer than just making the guns ready for firing over open sights.

Anyone happen to know how long it took to emplace artillery in the pre-electronics age?

But what about during operations? If lost alot of brave men to a lack of support (especially 2 brave LMGs holding off a American airborne company) P.S 1 made it out alive after sending a H.T 3kms for a pick-up by that time the 2nd MG was killed but amazingly the rescued MG suffered no loss

Dschugaschwili, can you confirm that tanks cannot run over ennemy troops? I remember a battle where one of my Stugs apparently ran over an ennemy plt, don't know if it was intentional or not.

The stug was out of ammo and inf was approaching, instead of reverse movement, it went fast to the squad then back. And the squad was eliminated.

Originally posted by tar:

Anyone happen to know how long it took to emplace artillery in the pre-electronics age?

In the book "The Guns of Normandy" by George Blackburn, he describes (Pages 26-27)how in "Crash Action" training, a battery could get off the first round in 3-5 minutes. However, the 4th CA was also voted best of the bunch, so other units might not live up to this example.

There are many examples of what it is like to move and set-up a 25 Pounder battery (in action around Caen) in this book.

Ken

Originally posted by Alexei:

Dschugaschwili, can you confirm that tanks cannot run over ennemy troops? I remember a battle where one of my Stugs apparently ran over an ennemy plt, don't know if it was intentional or not.

The stug was out of ammo and inf was approaching, instead of reverse movement, it went fast to the squad then back. And the squad was eliminated.

I remember tests being made with an ammoless tank racing down a road with different units placed on it, and there never was any damage to infantry squads. This was done in CMBB I think, but I have not heard that this was changed for CMAK. Maybe your squad was killed by something else?

Dschugaschwili

I ran such a test:

1. only guns suffer direct damage (still my favourite thing to do in CM :D );

2. no damage effect on tanks/trucks/infantry....can't recall if I tried 2" mortar/3"mortar/HMG teams.

I'v only ever seen morale damage on infantry - they tend to get spooked and hoof it.

I also tried inflicting casualties with smoke rounds - gave up trying after I don't remember how long.

All this should show up in a search of either CMBB or Tips and Tricks...maybe even Scenario Talk.

Originally posted by Dschugaschwili:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Alexei:

I remember tests being made with an ammoless tank racing down a road with different units placed on it, and there never was any damage to infantry squads. This was done in CMBB I think, but I have not heard that this was changed for CMAK. Maybe your squad was killed by something else?

Dschugaschwili </font>