Best way to take prisoners?

I played a game yesterday where three of my squads were bearing down on a lone enemy Company HQ in the woods. Although I would have preferred to take him prisoner (and get extra points in my BCR campaign), he freaked out and let the members of his unit get picked off one by one over about 20 seconds. Why didn't he surrender? What circumstances lead a unit to surrender rather than simply routing or being killed outright? Any tips for taking more prisoners?

Thanks,

Dr. Rosenrosen

While I haven't tested it it seems that cutting off their hope of escape tends to make them surrender. Rushing them head on tends to make them run and get cut down. If you can take them under fire from another direction they tend to surrender more. Rushing them with an AFV while also taking them under fire with other units has good results as well, especially if the AFV can come in from the flank.

None of these are sure fire but they are what I have observed.

I've had squads surrender very early in the game without any morale issues or pounding. Worked like this: Squads run orders took it through a previously unseen barbed wire emplacement. Then they came under fire suddenly from an MG. 2 Guys died and the rest immediately surrendered. All this within the span of one 60-second turn.

Once entangled in the barbed wire, even the retreat option was no good. The TacAI must've figured they'd be dead either way forward or backward so they simply surrendered.

- Sarge