Zimmerited Sd.251... ...yes, it existed !

Originally posted by Bogdan:

Hello,

I have recently discovered panzerdiesel.com, a very well done website. I found a very rare and strange picture of zimmerited Sd.251 D :eek: !

sdkfz251d_01.jpg

Now, dear masters modders, you know what you have to do ! ;)

Actually what you've discovered is a photo of a late war corduroy Sdkfz 251. These were built when war material ran short, and fabric was substituted for armour plate. A little known fact, but true I swear. ;)

Actually this was the only way the Wehrmacht was able to get the Maus rolling under its own power. Massive armour plate was replaced with a similar thickness of corduroy with remarkable improvements in weight and related wear and tear.

Sadly none of the corduroy AFVs lasted long in their conquerors' tank parks. The fabric retained moisture, hastening the corrosion of the supporting steel framework. The fabric itself simply rotted within a few seasons when left exposed to the elements.

Originally posted by Jagdratt:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Bogdan:

Hello,

I have recently discovered panzerdiesel.com, a very well done website. I found a very rare and strange picture of zimmerited Sd.251 D :eek: !

sdkfz251d_01.jpg

Now, dear masters modders, you know what you have to do ! ;)

Actually what you've discovered is a photo of a late war corduroy Sdkfz 251. These were built when war material ran short, and fabric was substituted for armour plate. A little known fact, but true I swear. ;)

Actually this was the only way the Wehrmacht was able to get the Maus rolling under its own power. Massive armour plate was replaced with a similar thickness of corduroy with remarkable improvements in weight and related wear and tear.

Sadly none of the corduroy AFVs lasted long in their conquerors' tank parks. The fabric retained moisture, hastening the corrosion of the supporting steel framework. The fabric itself simply rotted within a few seasons when left exposed to the elements. </font>