The MG in the Bunker?

Originally posted by GreenAsJade:

What kind of machine gun is in a wooden bunker?

Is it like the Maxim gun or the DShK HMG?

Why doesn't the unit info window have firepower information.

DShK would be to heavy for the experience I have with wooden pillboxes. This 12.7 mm weapon can knock out a PSW with a blink of an eye. Never seen this happening...

I beleive Maxims or DPs are more likely to be found in CM's pillboxes.

Too bad; DShK's in concrete would be hitorical acurate in my own home-made-scenarios of Sevastopol.

Originally posted by eichenbaum:

]DShK would be to heavy for the experience I have with wooden pillboxes. This 12.7 mm weapon can knock out a PSW with a blink of an eye. Never seen this happening...

I beleive Maxims or DPs are more likely to be found in CM's pillboxes.

That's very interesting. I have never played with DShK before, but I have some now. They don't appear that different in the "firepower" ratings.... just longer range.

Sounds like there's no substitute for experience in finding out what things do!

Originally posted by GreenAsJade:

That's very interesting. I have never played with DShK before, but I have some now. They don't appear that different in the "firepower" ratings.... just longer range.

Firepower and armor penetration are two different things (unlike the parallel between armor penetration and blast value of a HE shell). A weapon that fires small caliber rounds at high RPM, is accurate and needs little in-battle maintance, also usually has a good firepower rating.

The Maxim and DShK have nearly the some firepower rating, since the DShK has little to offer over Maxim's lethality: about the same RPM and accuracy. But! The thing that's not on the charts is the armor penetration (although some values are calulcated in the Excel charts).

The DShK can both chop the front armor of a halftrack at half a mile's distance, and harm infantry behind heavy cover more effectively.

I think the latter argument should be tested: does the heavy 12.7mm work better against infantry that are covering in heavy buldings?