Task Force Smith - need info for a scenario

At the start of the Korean War one of the first meetings between US and North Korean forces was a Meeting engagement (or "axis" attack?) by T34/85 against American Infantry supported by 105 howitzers in the ATG mode.

Looking for detailed info on this action (map particularly of the area around Suwon)

I seem to remember a detail article in one of the military magazines (Field artillery, Infantry or Armor) some years ago

R. Rolando Hinojosa-Smith, an English professor at the University of Texas (who I unfortunately never had the privilege to take classes from), wrote a novel based on his experiences as a crewmember of one of those 105s. It is called The Useless Servants(1993). I have the book here somewhere, but it is buried in a box. I'll see if I can dig it up.

[ November 21, 2002, 12:54 PM: Message edited by: akdavis ]

Gyrene, some excellent sources on line also. Found some excellent maps (but not for TF Smith)

I know where a map is located in a 1999 Field Artillery Journal. Unfortunately to get it I have to down load 250 of all the FA journals to get it!

Some excellent small amd mid sized unit actions in Korea.

Thanks for your help

You too Davis and the ever slimy Quinxi

Hans, I have no map, but this site might be of some use.

I just had a thought. The map you found but cannot readily download, does it show on the screen? If so, why not take a screenshot and print that out? I've done that with some images that were not downloadable.

Michael

[ November 22, 2002, 11:44 PM: Message edited by: Michael emrys ]

Michael thanks, I had found this source. I sent an email to Center for Military history to see if I could get a copy of the maps that don't show up.

Firefly do you have a copy of SP3? If you could send me the OOB (actually I have a good one just looking for some more details on the 4th NK division and its regiments, primarily on the number of MG and mortars per unit.)

Any way you get me a screen shot of that map also?

Thanks

Cyrene, I have come across a number of good maps can you give me the date on those battles? There were some good maps at the West Point site.

There is also good info on these battles in the Field Artillery Journal, Infantry and Armor magazines (with downloadable back copies)

Hans

Originally posted by Hans:

Firefly do you have a copy of SP3? If you could send me the OOB (actually I have a good one just looking for some more details on the 4th NK division and its regiments, primarily on the number of MG and mortars per unit.)

Hans,

The SP3 scenario depicts the NK OB as armoured only - basically the North Koreans get 11 platoons of T34/85s vs Task force Smith's two infantry companies, supported by 2 75mm Recoiless Rifles, 1 107mm mortar and 2 105 mm howitzers. It sounds as if your OB is already more detailed.

If anyone knows how to take an SP3 screen shot I can send you the map though.

[ November 23, 2002, 04:15 PM: Message edited by: Firefly ]

Originally posted by Hans:

I know where a map is located in a 1999 Field Artillery Journal. Unfortunately to get it I have to down load 250 of all the FA journals to get it!

No you don't. You can download them individually from the site I linked to in the other thread. You get all the other stuff that was in that issue, that's all. Just a ~14 MB download.

Scott

• 1 month later...