New Scenario - Peiper's Race for Belgorod 1943

Peiper’s Race for Belgorod 18th March 1943

After being heavily involved in the fighting to recapture Kharkov in the winter of 1943, the Blowtorch Battalion races to take Belgorod before powerful Soviet reinforcements arrive from Stalingrad – and beat the Heer’s “Grossdeutschland” Panzergrenadier Division to being the first to the city…

Map size: 6000m x 3000m

Total points combined: 12000

Authors: George McEwan and Charlie Meconis

This is an advance Operation consisting of 2 battles, 45 turns each (note: if you emulate Peiper and make a dash it might only be one battle, if not, you get to meet the 2nd Guards Tank Corps).

Play recommendations

Best played as Axis Vs AI with AI sticking to scenario default. If played as H2H more experienced player should play the Germans.

This is the last battle in the Blowtorch battalion series and you can get it, and the others in the series here

Enjoy!

George Mc

Man I have to tell you George, this is a great OP. I'm 15mins into the first battle and am having a great time. This is another vs AI great that you guys have created. I was already a fan but I really think this is the best one yet.

Any plans for another series or maybe even more of the Piper scenarios. Maybe next time you could do a series covering a Russian unit or commander?

The only gripe/question; I don't think two battles will be enough. Like I said I'm only 15 minutes into the first battle and have hammered through the Soviet road block with very minimal casualties so it might be sufficient.

I have to commend you on the realist unit mixture. I also thought it was pure genius having those FO’s simulate an air attack since air is so unpredictable.

Over all great job again, appreciate the hard work and keep them coming.

Oh I also wanted to say great idea not including flags in this one since I think it throughs the AI off.

Hi!

I have only played the "Operation Pieper" (German vs. AI), it was really exiting and very fun, but not very difficult to win :) Not ment to criticise - historical scenarios is just like that sometimes.

But I really must say that I admire the maps, they are indeed beautiful! When going down to the ground it feels like I'm actually there.

Originally posted by Sgt AA:

Hi!

I have only played the "Operation Pieper" (German vs. AI), it was really exiting and very fun, but not very difficult to win :) Not ment to criticise - historical scenarios is just like that sometimes.

But I really must say that I admire the maps, they are indeed beautiful! When going down to the ground it feels like I'm actually there.

Hi Sgt AA

Glad you enjoyed the scenario. This one gave a bit of a challenge to balance. At first the battle was more like some sort of winter Kursk against the AI - not what we were after. The final version does make it a tad easier against the AI, but it is designed to play better if the AI has a combat experience bonus. Then it dies get a bit tougher. Also we use a random factor for the Soviets so each time you play it might just be a bit differant. Luck played a big part in this operation. We were aiming for an action that was exciting, but, as it sounds like you were, a bold approach pays off in spades. Move, Move, Move!!

However, playing against another human as in H2H this is a differant ball game. It is one helluva challeneg for both sides playing this and gives some great action.

Especially glad you enjoyed the map. All the maps in the series are based on actual maps of the area (albeit at halfscale). One of the things that struck me about this series of actions was how small the unit was and the size of ground it operated in. I hope that CMC will allow these sort of actions to be fully realised.

Hope you enjoy the rest of the series.

Cheers fur noo

George mc

Originally posted by zmoney:

Man I have to tell you George, this is a great OP. I'm 15mins into the first battle and am having a great time. This is another vs AI great that you guys have created. I was already a fan but I really think this is the best one yet.

Any plans for another series or maybe even more of the Piper scenarios. Maybe next time you could do a series covering a Russian unit or commander?

The only gripe/question; I don't think two battles will be enough. Like I said I'm only 15 minutes into the first battle and have hammered through the Soviet road block with very minimal casualties so it might be sufficient.

I have to commend you on the realist unit mixture. I also thought it was pure genius having those FO’s simulate an air attack since air is so unpredictable.

Over all great job again, appreciate the hard work and keep them coming.

Oh I also wanted to say great idea not including flags in this one since I think it throughs the AI off.

Hi Zmoney

Glad you enjoyed it! smile.gif Peiper's Race is full of surprises and takes a lot of luck. It is possible to make it to Belgorod in the first battle - just ;) Glad you liked the air liason bit. We had thought about actual air support but given the rather random and uncontrollable nature of it in CM having a FOO serve as the liasion officer made more sense.

However, this is the last Peiper action though. The next series is going to be based around Count Von Strachwitz's ("Der Panzer Graf" and a fascinating character he is but more latter)combat career. Its still in the research stage, but as they say, watch this space.

Both Charlie and I would love to do a series on a Soviet commander or unit. I guess the bottom line is there just does not appear to be enough info out there, at least in English, to the same level of detail we can aquire about the German units etc.

For the Peiper series were were meticulous to ID the actual Soviet units that were involved in the actions. But beyond commanders at Divisional level IDing any other personalities is beyond our research capability at the moment. in saying that if anyone was to point us in the right direction...

Thanks again for the positive feedback. It certainly fuels the desire to do more. smile.gif

Cheers fur noo

George Mc

I now realize that I have enough time. Man I have to say again this is a great map.

The one thing that bugs me, (and this is out of your control) is that from battle to battle in an operation your infantry AT weapons change. For instance all my infantry are now carrying Molitov's instead of magnetic mines and such. It really eerked me to see that.

Originally posted by zmoney:

I now realize that I have enough time. Man I have to say again this is a great map.

The one thing that bugs me, (and this is out of your control) is that from battle to battle in an operation your infantry AT weapons change. For instance all my infantry are now carrying Molitov's instead of magnetic mines and such. It really eerked me to see that.

All the infantry should be carrying magnetic mines. It was pointed out by Rockinharry that carrying petrol filled bottles in the back of a halftrack might not be the best move, and anyways molotovs are more a field expedient weapon.

I'll go and check out the Editor and sort that. My apolgies... redface.gif

Cheers fur noo

George Mc

Originally posted by George Mc:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by zmoney:

All the infantry should be carrying magnetic mines. It was pointed out by Rockinharry that carrying petrol filled bottles in the back of a halftrack might not be the best move, and anyways molotovs are more a field expedient weapon.

I'll go and check out the Editor and sort that. My apolgies... redface.gif

Cheers fur noo

George Mc </font>

Originally posted by Sergei:

Looks reaaaaally nice!!! It's great to see that well-researched scenarios are still dropping out for CMBB.

Now, whether to play vs. AI or a human... that is the question! Would there be any takers here?

Hi Sergei

Praise indeed!! Thanks for that :D

Cheers fur noo

George

Originally posted by Xenophile:

Replicating some of Strachwitz's reported exploits should be a very interesting challenge for a designer. Looking forward to it.

Doesn't Der Panzer Graf's first name translate to Hyacinth? Almost surreal.

Hi!

The research is going well - what Charlie has dug up so for confimrs that the Count was an extraordinary character in many ways - but more of that anon. Our first scenario will be an early Barbarossa action - expect some pretty desperate fighting with tin cans! smile.gif

Cheers fur noo

George