(crybabie?) wants to know

overall if i use empty trucks and a like and drove them with fast through your lines and in a chance of 1:100(00) or so they get through you dunno see it as gamey ?

only want to know for further games because i like to play in a friendly and fair atmosphere.

edit for sp

[ January 16, 2003, 06:56 PM: Message edited by: Horus ]

A lot of people probably would see it as gamey, but basically it's a waste of resources. Trucks are valuable modes of transportation, rather than throwing them away on somewhat useless or risky attempts to gather intelligence, it is far more beneficial to utilize them appropriately to provide for a rapid shift in forces or better yet, a rapid reinforcement asset.

If someone is playing me and wants to waste their trucks, go for it. I love watching infantry walk to the front through my mortar fire. :D

take a look at b+t fall blau, on this map it makes sense and it´s not a waste but it ruin´s the fun to play on these map. and i like these scenario.

cmbb is such a great game because every scenario/map is a game on it´s own. so it´s imo not so easy to speak about gamey or not in general.

So will and IS-2 retreat when confronted with a gamey truck rush????
you are so clever :rolleyes:

i´m talking about one scenario called B+T Fall Blau (see above).

if you are not interessted in an serious discussion about this k, thx´s for your comment.

edit because wrong graemlin

[ January 16, 2003, 07:50 PM: Message edited by: Horus ]

The problem that I see with this "tactic" is that it asks your units to do something completely out of the norm for that unit. Trucks are transport, sure the guys driving them are soldiers, but they are in the motor pool, not commandos :D One could argue that using trucks like this is just unconvetional thinking, but in the scope of CM I don't think that it is something that would likely happen

Well regardless of the scenario or situation, in my view it is still a waste of valuable resources. And every unit killed, is a point in favor of the opponent. I protect crews in the same manner. I'd much rather retreat a crew off the map if the situation favors that tactic, than let the opponent score a point by killing it, or a truck for that matter. Which includes Kamikazi runs by jeeps, trucks, Greyhounds, etc. Which I've had done. I just shrug it off as a player that will have to compete with someone else other than me in the future.

But, I'll grant you I have not played this scenario your in so I can't really say that the tactic does not have any merit, rather I'm saying regardless of that fact it is still a waste of resource as a good tactician would find a better way to accomplish the same results in a less risky manner.

thx´s for constructive reply´s ;)

*maybe SPOILERS*

1. game is runing well for me, so that´s not the point.

2. my opp. has tell me he will not do this again and then yes he has done it again :(

i have a little critical zone on my lower left flank and in the near of this zone he had used an empty truck as an fast moving "outpost". of course on one side thats ok but yeah trucks are not commandos.

3. in this scenario trucks are the fastest units.

and most of the troops are conscript and regular.

so you have sometimes big delays for orders.

4. yes i can use my trucks in the same way but i dunno want to play cmbb like c+c. thats the main reason why i in this case have very much against it. willy-nilly high speed driving trucks behind enemy lines gives me a RTS feeling and i hate RTS

games.

conclusion: i will take the nx turns and if this bad feeling about my opp. dunno get away i will capitulate to him (see 1. plz) and forget him.

hey, use halftracks next time....

"Obersturmbannfuehrer (SS Lieutenant Colonel) Jochen Peiper was one of the most sensational figures of the Battle of the Bulge. ...... Later, on the Eastern Front, he had pioneered daring armored tactics. At the head of a small group of tanks, he would raid deep into the Russian rear, shooting up supply columns and wreaking havoc. ...

But Peiper was ruthless. He would put two or three halftracks at the head of his columns and then charge deep into enemy territory. The halftracks would be sacrificed but the tanks behind them would then take out whatever defenses had been flushed by the halftracks."

to

cmbb is such a great game because every scenario/map is a game on it´s own. so it´s imo not so easy to speak about gamey or not in general.

myself

and here

hey, use halftracks next time....
so if you don´t read and try to understand what i´m talking about why you post here ?

it´s not the peng thread :rolleyes:

If we are defining "gamey" as something done to take advantage of the characteristics of the game design rather than something that would actually happen in RL then there can be no other definition for this tactic. This becomes readily apparent when one remembers that it is almost 99% certain that none of those trucks has a radio. So it becomes a case of a commander telling a vitally needed unit that has no way of communicating and little chance of survival to go to the middle of the killing zone and let him know if they spot anything.

Then again this is a game and technically anything you do will be gamey. You don't have to worry about preserving your units for further operations or about supply. It all boils down to how faithful you want to be to RL. We can all cite numerous incidents of "gamey" tactics if we try. Just make your opponent pay and don't do them yourself if they upset you.

Sgtgoody

you dunno believe it but the truck is alive ! LOL

the troops are shaken maybe i should call this a minor bug then gamey ?

so for a try hope it´s ok for you, i will send him with fast through your lines.

we need no motorcycles we have ubertrucks :rolleyes:

It is definitely 'gamey'; the trucks are not recon units and cannot be expected to act as such (especially what with them not possessing a radio!). Using an incredibly valuable transportation commodity whose production could never make up for attrition in a recon role is simply gamey.

I can just see it now:

"Obergrenadier Müller, we suspect an enemy Pak-front over that hill. Drive as fast forward as possible. Even though you aren't paying attention to your surroundings due to the speed, and have no radio or any other way of conveying their location to us, and aren't trained to locate hiding enemies, the Hive Mind will fortunately convey this information to us. Die for the Common Good!"

"Jawohl, Herr Oberst!"

Remember that there is a difference between gamey and risky. Even real world commanders will risk assets if it means getting people either to or from somewhere that they have to be.

Fast moving a truck to drop off a squad and praying that they get there is different from rushing that truck forward to use the "Hive Mind." Military tactics are designed to secure the objective. Many times this requires using things as they are not "supposed" to be used. General Franks "siezed" a crossroads in Iraq with a squadron of AH64s, was this gamey?

You do what you have to do, if your opponent cannot stop you well then you win.

This tactic is a leftover from CMBO where unarmored vehicles were practically unkillable from guns (not smallarms) when used right.

I have to remind people that this tactic costs not only 25 points for the truck, but also 12 for the two crewmembers. Shooting the truck from a tank or an MG-equipped vehicle which can relocate will solve the problem.

Also, what kind of defense is that if you can drive a truck (of all things) right through the front entrance smile.gif

It wouldn't surprise me if wasting transport like that would be grounds for demotion or perhaps -- in extreme cases -- execution on the grounds of sabotage, considering neither side had terribly great logistics. Recon should be done with units that can plausibly do recon, such as split squads not that far away from HQs and the rest of a possibly ad-hoc platoon so they'd have a chance to communicate or to fall back under covering fire if need be.

Also, what kind of defense is that if you can drive a truck (of all things) right through the front entrance
the nx clever guy ;)

right now it´s not more about gamey or not.

it seems that sometimes trucks on fast orders and on roads - means high speed :rolleyes: can drove relativ unharmed through not so less mg fire far away. within the nx week i will do some tests on this, hey if you want you can do it also :D

if thats true i think if possible it should be tweaked (if hardcoded there´s no way;k).

maybe you look at a thread called GAMEY? also.

about the test with sgtgoody these truck was at end of his order so he has a 14sec delay on the new order but he managed to go for maybe 50m but that´s not what i´m talking about.

so far....

edit because i had forgetsomething

[ January 17, 2003, 11:50 AM: Message edited by: Horus ]