CDV 1.02 Released....I think

Originally posted by Nolloff:

"Multilingual" seems to be all languages including German, English etc.

If it had only been the version number I wouldn´t have worried but the non multilingual version seems not to have updated my game executable (now dated 24th of Jan).

Hi !

So, tell me if i'm wrong but, which version have I to use ? The national one (french, english or german) or the multi-language one ? :confused:

This version is 26 Mo, on the contrary the french version is 16 Mo approx. Is there somebody who have tried both ? (I mean the "multi-language" and a "single-language") Is there a difference ?

Reading your post, Nolloff, it seams that the national version doesn't update the number version...

Please tell me ! smile.gif

Cheers.

I first downloaded the 15MB patch for the German version. It didn´t change the version number to 1.02, had no details about the changes (not during the patch and no readme extracted) and after having a look at my Combat Mission 2 directory I was under the impression that my game executable (CombatMission2.exe in my case) hadn´t gotten updated by the patch but was still dated November 02). Nevertheless I was able to open a 1.02 PBEM file from one of my opponents. I read somewhere that this is not possible with 1.01.

To make sure my game is correctly updated I then downloaded the multilingual patch, executed it and both the version number and the executable got updated plus I checked if some of the obvious changes are there (models).

I don´t wanna spread any rumours. I can´t confirm that the language specific patch works ok. It could only be the version number counter not getting properly updated. But I can confirm the multilingual does do what it´s supposed to do.

Nolloff

Bogdan,

As I said above I downloaded the English version (15mb) and it worked and even updated the version number. A good way to check is to start a QB and see if the 'Pure Armour' option is available in the force type. It may be that Nolloff's problem only applies to the German version.

[ February 13, 2003, 10:48 AM: Message edited by: Firefly ]

BritishBulldog.

Is there any chance you could post a quick breakdown of how you went about getting round the download problem i.e. One that I can shamelessly follow. I am having exactly the same issues (Your ISP isn't Freeserve is it by any chance?)

CDV certainly don't believe in making life easy do they? :rolleyes:

Many Thanks

Originally posted by Ubique:

I'm not lukcy enough to be on Broadband, so when I click on the English patch, I'm told I'm looking at a 4+ hour download time!

To me it seems crazy to have 15mb files to download - why aren't they available on CD; I wouldn't even mind paying for it! :confused: :mad:

I seem to recall someone saying when 1.01 came out that CDV would provide the patch on CD in return for the cost of the CD plus postage. If that's not the case you may have to wait for the patch to appear on the cover disc of a magazine such as PC Gamer, but that will probably mean you paying £4.95 for a magazine you don't particularly want :( .

4 hours seems a bit excessive, I based my earlier estimate on the download taking just over 5 minutes on ADSL which is roughly 10 times the speed of dial-up, perhaps the web-site is busy today and if you try again in a couple of days the download speed will be faster.

Originally posted by cyrano01:

BritishBulldog.

Is there any chance you could post a quick breakdown of how you went about getting round the download problem i.e. One that I can shamelessly follow. I am having exactly the same issues (Your ISP isn't Freeserve is it by any chance?)

CDV certainly don't believe in making life easy do they? :rolleyes:

Many Thanks

Cyrano, you got it, my ISP IS freeserve!

The problem can be solved, I have a fully patched CM 2 on my PC! Here is how.

1. Open Internet Explorer

2. From the menu bar select "Tools" and then "Internet Options".

3. Select the "Connections" tab.

4. Select the connection you will be using for the download.

5. Click on the box labelled "Use a procy server for this connection".

6. In the cache box enter "http://www-cache.freeserve.net" (without the quote marks)

7. In the Port box enter 8080.

8. Now try the download again. If everything is set up as it should be you will find you are able to download.

Just one other word of advice, either use the pay as you go option to connect to freeserve or disconnect and then start the download, otherwise the 2 hour cut off may get you.

You can go back and disable the proxy settings when you are done if you like. It does slow down your internet connection slightly.

Matt

[ February 13, 2003, 03:44 PM: Message edited by: BritishBulldog ]

Originally posted by Madmatt:

So, are you guys saying that the German 1.02 patch posted on that site uses a different .exe filename for the game when the patch is run than what CDV normally uses (which is CM2.exe IIRC)?

If so, what is the new filename for the game that is installed?

Madmatt

Madmatt,

As far as I can see there is no problem with the filename. I tried a couple of installs of the CDV UK patch and it upgraded without any problem.

In one upgrade my exe was named Barbarossa to berlin.exe (for CMMOS compatability) and in the other it was named CombatMission2.exe. I even did an upgrade with no exe file in the directory. All upgraded without any problem.

Pre upgrade file size = 8,258KB

Post upgrade file size = 8,449KB - (UK version)

Where it think the problem lies is in the fact that the install has no option to select an install directory and automatically extracts to the default directory (c:\Program files\Combat Mission 2\). This obviously isnt going to suit everybody ... but is easily overcome ..... still an option to select the install dir would be nice :rolleyes:

Also for PBEM play .... until all my opponents have upgraded I am using 2 copies of the exe file. One upgraded to 1.02 (combatmission2) and one at 1.01 (barbarossa 2 berlin) saved prior to the upgrade. :cool:

All working fine. All the above was checked using the CDV UK patch .... didnt try the multi-lingual version.

[ February 14, 2003, 02:41 AM: Message edited by: Lou2000 ]

Originally posted by Firefly:

Bogdan,

As I said above I downloaded the English version (15mb) and it worked and even updated the version number. A good way to check is to start a QB and see if the 'Pure Armour' option is available in the force type. It may be that Nolloff's problem only applies to the German version.

Hello !

Thank you guys for your posts !

Yesterday, I have patched CMBB 1.01 with the CDV "multi-language" patch 1.02 and it worked fine (Got the "all armor" Quick Battle). In my CMBB folder, I then had 2 exe programs : a "CombatMission2.exe" and my old "Barbarossa to Berlin.exe" (I renamed it in order to make the connection with CMMOS good). So I gave them 2 different names :

</font>

• The new "CombatMission2.exe" is now "Barbarossa to Berlin" (1.02)</font>
  • The old exe is now called "Barbarossa to Berlin 101.exe".</font>

It's easy now to restore old PBEM to the newer version 1.02 ! :cool:

Cheers.

Originally posted by Madmatt:

So, are you guys saying that the German 1.02 patch posted on that site uses a different .exe filename for the game when the patch is run than what CDV normally uses (which is CM2.exe IIRC)?

If so, what is the new filename for the game that is installed?

Madmatt

It´s CombatMission2.exe but that´s the normal exe name and the patch didn´t change anything about the name. In my case the first patch didn´t seem to change the file size and date.

Nolloff

changed internet security and privacy first but failed to download.then tried bulldogs solution and download started at which husband started leaping round the room with joy.the merriment was shortlived as it completed half the download and then goes fatal.please put husband out of misery before i shoot him and tell me if there is another link or if there is something else i can try,cheers,rachel

Hi all,

downloaded the US patch for my US version, worked fine.

Downloaded german patch for my german version, patched,no 1.02 readme, no new version number, same old CombatMission2.exe .

German only patch doesnt work for me.

Now downloading the multilingual patch.

Thank god, I have the US version .

[ February 14, 2003, 07:27 AM: Message edited by: Scheer ]

Originally posted by Lou2000:

Where it think the problem lies is in the fact that the install has no option to select an install directory and automatically extracts to the default directory (c:\Program files\Combat Mission 2\). This obviously isnt going to suit everybody ... but is easily overcome ..... still an option to select the install dir would be nice :rolleyes:

Not quite correct. I don't put games in my program files directory (someone once told me it was inefficent - this may have changed) and the patch found the installation in my C:\WARGAMES folder with no problem, the patch doesn't ask you for the location of the game as it appears to be able to find it by itself.

If its any consolation to any UK users out there with Freeserve as their ISP I carried through Bulldog's suggestion and it didn't seem, I stress seem, to make a difference (that doesn't make it a bad suggestion and I'm sincerely grateful for all the help he has offered :D ).

I just changed the IE's Security settings to Low (Tools | Internet Options | Security) and, with Download Accelerator still active, I downloaded the patch with Resume supported to avoid any tears before bedtime.

Many thanks to veryone for providing some guidance omn this matter. Another c, c, coup for CDV :(

Hey Matt!!

I've been in another thread crashing away at this exact same problem for the past week. I have a CDV version but I live in Canada and the DL is a no-go for all the reasons you discribed.

I'm not too techincal and I don't know anything about proxy settings et al, but I assume there is some way for us to get the patch? Can you help me out?

I'm trying not to let is show, but I'm getting pretty frustrated over here...