Proper use of HT/infantry?

I have to advance up a long map about 2.7Km.

I have an AFV force which includes HT and infantry.

I will have to clear various wooded areas to check for ATRs and gun emplacements with flanking shots to a road that travels down the center of the map.

What is the best way to use my HT/infantry to clear the woods?

Should I advance the HTs to the tree line and disembark my infantry there?

Or should I advance the HTs to 200m from the tree line and disembark my infantry there covering the open ground on foot?

The former would seem to give better protection to my infantry from small arms fire, but less supporting fire from the HTs.

The latter would seem to give my HTs a better chance to survive from close range AT weapons and better FOV for providing supporting fire for the infantry as they enter the woods.

Recommendations?

Thanks.

haven't done it in the game yet, in RL, using HMMWV's toting .50 cal's and Mk-19 AGL's, we pull the trucks to cover/concealed position, hull down would be fantastic if possible, kick out the dismounts there. Cover them with Hvy Wpns from the vehicle as they cover the last 300-400 Meters on foot. HMMWV's, and HT's (I would imagine) are too soft and too large a target to pull up into knife fighting range, let them cover the advance from a distance with some cover.

We had a thread about it about a week ago, including victory point considerations etc.

I think the question where to drop them off directly at the cover where the enemy might hang out of let them walk the last way depends entirely on the terrain.

The halftracks are not only threatend by close assault by people hanging out int he positions to be assaulted, they are also threatend by long-range weapons from AT rifle, AT guns to tanks.

So you really want to have them parked in the open. Close assault can mean that the cover you are approching to, while it might be filled with enemies, can give you protection from long-range AT fire. Or it may totally expose you. Depends.

Parking a few hundred meters away also requires some kind of cover so it's only possible in suitable terrain.