Elementar question about armor angle.

Whit useful enter command on selected unit that every one know, some important information of a unit are listed. So i dont understand(im not a armament expert) exatcly what armor angle is. I suppose is as elementar picture wiev below any one can confirm my suppose and someone can me indicate some font where i can read about the fisic of armor piece.

angle.JPG

I post a picture because my english is poor.

Thanks in advance.

KotH

I think you might be misunderstanding. The amor angle listed on a unit is the angle of the armor relative to a "level" shot at it. In your picture, if the target unit had an armor slope of say 20%, then the actual angle for caculating penetration in the situation you drew would be 20%(armor)+30%(angle of the shooter) = 50%.

If you were shooting down at the same tank from a -20% angle, then the slope for penetration would be 20% - 20% = 0%.

Hope that helps.

I begin to understand something thank to you, but it turns out also difficult to understand the difference between angle of shooters and angle of armors. The your info they have made me to think that could be the effective angle when it(projectile shooters) impact them (armors)

like this

apcbc.gif

but im not sure for probably another misunderstanding :eek:

KotH

[ March 01, 2004, 03:38 AM: Message edited by: kingofthehill ]

Originally posted by kingofthehill:

I begin to understand something thank to you, but it turns out also difficult to understand the difference between angle of shooters and angle of armors. The your info they have made me to think that could be the effective angle when it(projectile shooters) impact them (armors)

like this

apcbc.gif

but im not sure for probably another misunderstanding :eek:

KotH

That illistration is incorrect.

APCBC does not actually turn into the armor. All it does is that it turns less away from the armor than a hit with uncapped AP at the same angle.

Originally posted by kingofthehill:

... the difference between angle of shooters and angle of armors. The your info they have made me to think that could be the effective angle when it(projectile shooters) impact them (armors)

like this....

KotH

To really simplify the affect of armor angle....

First, assume both armored vehicles are on level ground (zero slope- which negates additional firing angles).

Now, using your illustration, measure the width of the armor plate at a perpendicular angle (90 degrees). The width is say approximately 20cm, and follows the thickness of the armor.

Now, using the same illustration, measure the width of the armor plate at the angle indicated by the round penetrating at a level angle (just follow the first arrow before impact). The width is approximately 40cm, and follows the angle that the round hits the plate.

Notice the difference- which is based upon geometry/trignometry of a 90 degree triangle (in this case probably a 30-60-90 degree triangle). While the armor is only 20cm thick, the level angle that the round will hit will take the round through the long length of the triangle equaling about 40cm.