How did BFC made sounds?

Originally posted by Vergeltungswaffe:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Dressler:

Perhaps with a "Mr. Microphone". :D

"I'll be back to pick you up at 8:00!!!"

Man, remembering that commercial makes me feel old.

Didn't it start with "Hey, good looking,...I'll be back..."? </font>

Originally posted by 88mm:

Dunno how they did it. what i do notice is that they never heard of compression. All sounds are Wav's and all images etc. are bmp's. How fast can you fill a cd or harddrive, huh ?

How fast is your system to decompress the files while playing or loading a game ?

Wav's are already decreased in size with a low sample rate and low frequency.

Most game engines do not support JPEG files or some kind. Maybe if we get VRML97 engines this would be all over.

what i do notice is that they never heard of compression. All sounds are Wav's and all images etc. are bmp's. How fast can you fill a cd or harddrive, huh ?
Please. CM is one of the games that takes up the least amount of hard drive space on my computer. Most games are multi-CD, and the data is all compressed to fit on those multiple CDs. Some of the games I own take up to 4GB on my HD.

And like Eichenbaum has said, it helps performance because no decompression has to take place. It's also very easy for the development teams to work with, because BMPs and WAVs are native formats to Windows. That's probably why CM doesn't crash much, if at all; I've never seen it crash.

Wav's are already decreased in size with a low sample rate and low frequency.
Actually, no. The WAV format is audio's native digital audio format. It's actually the format used on CDs. They're are only crappy if they're recorded that way.

Try it yourself. Rip a CD without compressing it to MP3 or Ogg Vorbis, and you'll see just how big and how high the quality of a WAV is.

My guess is that the sounds were bought. I worked for a startup video game company a while back, and we had a library of sounds we bought, which included gunfire, machine guns, naval guns, truck sounds, etc.

Phemur

Actually, no. The WAV format is audio's native digital audio format. It's actually the format used on CDs. They're are only crappy if they're recorded that way.
You're right. It's 44.1KHz - 16bit. I always had the impression that sounds are compressed.

Sounds can be bought yes, but I'd guess you can't buy all of them that are being used in CM.

Mr Pedantic speaks.

CD actually store sound in a format called CDDA. It is a headerless signed 16-bit 44.1 kHz stereo little-endian data stream that must be an even multiple of 2352 bytes in size. WAV files have a header, can be 8-32 bit, arbitrary sample rate, mono or stereo.

The phrase you are looking for is that WAV files are a lossless audio container, like CDDA. MP3, OggVorbis are lossy audio containers (and thus much smaller). BMPs are a lossless image container, as are GIF and PNG. JPEG is usually lossy (and so for photos tend to be smaller).

Sounds can be bought yes, but I'd guess you can't buy all of them that are being used in CM.
You'd be surprised. The sound library we bought had 100+ CDs full of WAVs. There were several CDs full of "Army" sounds.

They could have bought a bunch, hired voice actors to do others, etc. Only BFC knows.

The phrase you are looking for is that WAV files are a lossless audio container, like CDDA.
I stand corrected.

Phemur

The fact that a game fitts on one cd doesn't prove it's effectivness. Lack of campaign or video reduces game-space significantly. There are alot of games with compression that runs flawless. Ever seen a compression-tool hanging ?

Nope, my gues is that money id the big factor here. Most if not all compression-algoritmes have to be paid for when commercialy used.

Another thing: what puzzles me is that with a massiv damaged map the "thinking' time of the Ai significantly increases; every single turn it can take ages to process. Why ?