Spotting Probabilities

I see there is discussion about spotting going on in the CMBB forum so I decided to repost my question here.

I'm looking for any information on how the CMBB engine handles spotting and identification of enemy units.

posted April 21, 2003 10:56 PM

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Does anyone know where I can find some information about probabilities of units successfuly spotting/being spotted in CMBB? I did a search on the forum but came up empty...

Thanks!

While you wait for a more knowledgeable person to show up here is my short explanation.

Identification is obviously dependent on the quality of the LOS. (is it nigh/day/raining, long way off, obscured by trees and such and quality of the spotting unit and I believe lenght of spotting as well.

The spotting itself is a bit more controversial. As it is now say if a AT rifle is hiding 1000 metres away from your tank, that tank is not going to see him. However if another unit of yours is closer to the AT rifle and is in a position to spot it, the tank will immidiatly be aware of it despite it not normally being able to see it. This happens if the spotter and the tank have no radio. Please note, the tank does have LOS to it but it would not realisticly notice it. That's the "Borg Spotting" you've been hearing about.

The request is that future engines allow for units radio-ing in the position of spotted units or units responding to firefights with units they don't actually notice. All this with an appropriate delay.

That is the short of it.

Originally posted by Tweety:

While you wait for a more knowledgeable person to show up here is my short explanation.

Identification is obviously dependent on the quality of the LOS. (is it nigh/day/raining, long way off, obscured by trees and such and quality of the spotting unit and I believe lenght of spotting as well.

The spotting itself is a bit more controversial. As it is now say if a AT rifle is hiding 1000 metres away from your tank, that tank is not going to see him. However if another unit of yours is closer to the AT rifle and is in a position to spot it, the tank will immidiatly be aware of it despite it not normally being able to see it. This happens if the spotter and the tank have no radio. Please note, the tank does have LOS to it but it would not realisticly notice it. That's the "Borg Spotting" you've been hearing about.

The request is that future engines allow for units radio-ing in the position of spotted units or units responding to firefights with units they don't actually notice. All this with an appropriate delay.

That is the short of it.

Thanks for the reply. Yeah, i've heard of the "Borg Spotting" problem.

I'm not an expert on spotting but there have been many instances where I thought my units were safe (e.g. arty spotter HIDING in woods spotted by russians at 500m range!) Then the "Borg spotting" comes into effect and they are wiped out! amazing.

My interest is in how the CMBB engine decides how one unit can see another unit. Any info would be appreciated! Thanks.

You need to run hotseat games against yourself and make a web page table for the rest of us smile.gif

I don't think anybody did that for CMBB. There are huge numbers of variables, like facing of unit, general visibilty (air), terrain vivibility (trees, brushes), supression of viewing unit, whether the unit has binoculars or in the case of vehicles how good optics, exposure and speed of observed unit, whether the target is a split or combined squad. I think but I am not sure that the more men an infantry unit has and the slower it moves the more angle it scans. Obviously the whole equotation starts with new variables from scratch for firing units.

So you better start now, you are up for a two-year exercise ;)

Originally posted by redwolf:

You need to run hotseat games against yourself and make a web page table for the rest of us smile.gif

I don't think anybody did that for CMBB. There are huge numbers of variables, like facing of unit, general visibilty (air), terrain vivibility (trees, brushes), supression of viewing unit, whether the unit has binoculars or in the case of vehicles how good optics, exposure and speed of observed unit, whether the target is a split or combined squad. I think but I am not sure that the more men an infantry unit has and the slower it moves the more angle it scans. Obviously the whole equotation starts with new variables from scratch for firing units.

So you better start now, you are up for a two-year exercise ;)

Aye aye, sir! Considering I only get to play CMBB about ~5 hours/week check this forum for my chart around the year 2009! smile.gif

Thanks for the reply. I'll have to play around with hotseat tip you mentioned to determine my spotting questions.