video clitch

I have loaded the game onto a gateway computer with a RIVA tnt2 video card and ME OS. Shortly after the game starts to load I get a black screen with a "This Game requires a 800x600 video resolution". The computer is already set above that an I have re-set it down to that but it is still as far as the game will load. ANY help would be appreciated.

I don't believe that Windows ME actually has a 'compatibility mode' setting available to it. As far as I'm aware that is a Windows 2000/XP feature. On top of that I doubt that compatibility mode would solve an issue involving the resolution. In the past some people have claimed that it helped them with their CD's not be recognized by CM for copy protection (for a lot of other people it actually 'caused' this problem).

Windows ME comes with DirectX 6.x or 7.x, I can't recall exactly. However newer Nvidia drivers require DirectX 9. I suggest downloading and installing DirectX 9.0c. After rebooting you may want to upgrade your video driver. The latest version that works with the Riva TNT series (according to Nvidia support) is 44.03 . I'm not sure which driver you're using currently (Microsoft may or may not have a Riva driver included with WinME), but this driver should hopefully work.

While installing these files it's best to have your anti-virus software turned off/disabled since it could potentially interfere. Also, before installing the video driver I'd suggest uninstalling the current one (if it doesn't say 'Microsoft' in its name), just to make sure that there are no complications involved with overwriting the previous ones (or their registry settings).

Another thing to check is your monitor driver. In the Device Manager check to see if it accurately matches your current monitor. On occasion some 'Default Monitor' profiles/drivers have been insufficient. If you update the monitor driver and there isn't an exact match, then the 'Plug and Play Monitor' driver/profile should work fine.

With all of this done you can do a simple test to see if there are any issues with DirectX and/or the drivers. Go to the Start Menu > Run command > type in dxdiag and when that finishes loading go to the Display tab. In the 'DirectX Features' section make sure that all of the three settings are enabled (assuming that this is an AGP videocard). If they are enabled click on the 'Test Direct3D' button to run the test. The test consists of a spinning cube rendered under DirectX's 7, 8 and 9. If any of these tests fails, then it may indicate that there are still some issues with either DirectX and/or the video drivers or potentially some hardware (rare) or CMOS setting problems.

Originally posted by daryl:

I have loaded the game onto a gateway computer with a RIVA tnt2 video card and ME OS. Shortly after the game starts to load I get a black screen with a "This Game requires a 800x600 video resolution". The computer is already set above that an I have re-set it down to that but it is still as far as the game will load. ANY help would be appreciated.

First, check your driver version for your card. Well, actually first, get a new video card, that thing is ancient. But then check your driver, it should be 71.84, dated March 11, 2005. Thats the most recent driver version for your card. You can find it here;

http://www.nvidia.com/object/win9x_71.84.html

I'm not sure which one is right. In fact the 61.76 Release Notes PDF mentions support for the TNT series. However Release Notes for drivers in the Windows 9x archive after 61.76 do not mention any TNT's in their supported hardware.

In this case I'd generally assume that the Release Notes may be more accurate than the website. However it can also be an oversight by those who write the release notes. They may be assuming that since all the code is geared towards the GeForces that anything before them just doesn't exist somehow.

The best thing to do in this case would be to just experiment with the drivers and the dxdiag tests to see which drivers actually work. Remember to uninstall each driver and reboot before installing a different driver.