LOS bug & fire starting

Was testing a few things in CMBB lately - hull down effects on weak turreted pannzer IV and so. While I was on that, two things occured to me:

I played a bit around while testing armor sound contact detection and stepped over an interesting thing - which I would call a bug...

I had some tanks moving towards a 100m thick forest in a winter battle. I got sound contact as usual, but when two of the tanks reached the edge of the forest, both were instantly spotted and fully identified, thought neither of them had LOS to each other.

I thought this might be something like, "okay the commander looks out from top of the turret, so he can see tank, but the gunner can't target".

But then I encountered the same problem in another scenario:

2 Panther were engageing each other (the scenario was called "high noon" ^^), one of the Panthers approached from the corner of a church. Though I had no LOS, again, the Panther was spotted at the very end of the corner and fully identified. I could even reverse the other Panther, even 45 meters away, it was completly identified...

Here is a screen:

cmbblosbugwi2.th.jpg

The second thing that happened was a fire starting immideatly after a tank was partialy penetrated. How can that happen? Did the round pass through the tank and cause damage to the engine or something (it wasn't immobilized, though)? I can't think of any match were this has happened to me...

Again, two screens, first:

cmbbfireafterpenetratiocc7.th.jpg

Translation: "front upper hull partial penetration - 1 casualty"

The first one shows the Panzer IV, being penetrated by the shell from a T-34/76 M.43 (late). You might notice there are several tanks in the background, but they did not fire on this Panzer IV, rather his "friends" to the right and the left. I checked for missing shells from them, but none going even close to the tile.

The second screen:

cmbbfireafterpenetratiolh1.th.jpg

Even before the hit text appears, the tile caught fire (exactly when the tank was hit and the penetration sound was played).

Anyone else had this happen before? I know it from missing shells, explosions and so, but (partial) penetrating shells in the upper hull?

Scary! Maybe even the optics can be hit - and we don't even notice it? ^_-

About your first question - I think your commander is looking thru the windows in the building. I've seen such spotings of tanks behind light buildings and they were able to fire/being fired at, but I guess that's because the houses were light, while this heavy building can easly resist any kind of shells so hence why you can see, but can not fire at.

Well, you can usually fire through the edges of light builings (guess it is because of the windows). However looking through the windows of a church 35m behind it, being able to identify a never before seen enemy completly, but being not able to shoot at him is... weird... At least for CM standards tongue.gif

• 2 weeks later...