Tanks can't hit bldgs in LOS (now with more pics!)

Hi there,

I'm not sure if this fits into the invincible gun category or not, but I had a strange problem in my QB game last night. I had several tanks (one immobilized) that could see buildings according to the LOS tool. But all of their HE shots were short of the target.

For the most part the buildings were on slopes, and the area immediately around the building was flat, which resulted in a small ledge right next to the building. The tanks were lower in elevation. Even though the MG fire could reach the building, the HE couldn't.

And this happened with two (of three) tanks and with almost all the buildings on the map. Very frustrating.

Since a picture is worth a thousand words....

tanks_cant_hit1.jpg

Notice all of the craters as these two tanks shot just short of the building and the infantry squad.

tanks_cant_hit2.jpg

Here's a closer view.

So, if I can't hit the building, the LOS tool shouldn't say I can. I area targeted the building for several turns and ZERO shots hit the building. Naturally I have a Save Game file if anyone is interested.

Dr. Rosenrosen

[ March 15, 2003, 12:24 AM: Message edited by: Dr. Rosenrosen ]

Judging by your screenshots here those tanks are targeting that infantry squad and not the building. Sometimes area target orders are cancelled due to the tacAI deciding that there are more important targets. Sometimes not a good a thing.

Also, always check the exposure percentage when targeting infantry, unfortunately buildings don't have a exposure percentage. Ive accidently targeted infantry with 0% exposure and my HE shells either flew over them or fell way short. Hope this helps. smile.gif

Oops.

Okay, my pics are slightly confusing since they are targeting infantry at that point and not the buildings. However, since they had the same problem hitting that infantry (and that's when I took the pic), it all made sense to me. :rolleyes:

So that it can make sense to someone else :D , here's a pic of the tank attempting to hit the house using area target. Notice the shell hitting in front of the house. Notice also the other craters from his multiple previous attempts.

tanks_cant_hit3.jpg

Dr. Rosenrosen

Originally posted by UberFunBunny:

Go here and download the test scenario (in top post, page 6) that proves this serious bug:

http://www.battlefront.com/cgi-bin/bbs/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=23;t=006249;p=6

So if this is indeed an acknowledged bug, are there plans for a fix in the next patch? Would reverting to a previous version help with this problem?

Thanks,

Dr. Rosenrosen