Ambush Tatics against AI

Still at the newbie stage, however I`ve searched the back forums for advice and didn`t come up with much. Could you tell me the best way to lay an ambush against the computer? I set an ambush point using a CO (it might be a HQ can`t remember), anyway I hide my squad in woods, then before I get them to pause for 60 seconds, at least I think it is because the pause clocks up to 45, then when I hit P again the time of pause dissapears.n If the units are hiding will they automaticly hold fire because I`d like to do a whites of the eyes thing but my MG or infant. always seem to open up on the enermy before I want them to dispite the pause. Any suggestions please. Thanks in Advance smile.gif

The Pause command hasn't got anything to do with ambushs or fire in general. It is there to coordinate movement by adding longer delays.

To set up a proper ambush use hide commands and covering arcs and read the trooper guide (read manual) even if it is in the non-portable pdf format as mine - it is your friend ;)

Yes , I`m playing CMBO , well, not exactly yet, I have the demo on the muter, the game is stored at a friends where I cant get to it until I finish a project I`m working on , otherwise ....

So I`m not into the full game yet, but that doesnt stop me getting into the forums ! Thanks for the replys, and I don`t know what covering arcs are , your right.

Pausing won't do anything. If you also have a move order it will actually negate the "hide". Pausing only matters for movement, not for firing.

In CMBO, the way to set an ambush is to have all the units involved hide, while being in command of one HQ. The HQ then places an ambush marker. All the units should have LOS to the ambush marker. When an enemy unit comes within 20m of the ambush marker, they will unhide and fire. The enemy will have a few seconds of movement after they unhide.

A good location for an ambush marker is 30-40m from any cover, but between two covered areas you expect the enemy to go through. That way it will be triggered with targets in the open, who won't get to cover rapidly. If your first few shots panic them, they won't be able to fire back and will remain vulnerable to unsuppressed fire in the open.

The range should be 30 to 100 yards. Don't go for absolute point-blank - your men will probably come off "hide" on their own before the ambush marker is reached. (They always do that in self defense if enemies get too close - especially conscripts and greens).

In CMBB and CMAK, all units can place covered arcs. These replace ambush markers, and let you fine tune the area each unit will fire. You can use it to create ambushes, make fire plans for support weapons, and set maximum ranges to conserve ammo or avoid shooting into good cover. Definitely an improvement over CMBO.

I hope this helps.

Originally posted by Dave the Sculptor:

Thanks for the info Jason, now if I can only figure out how to stop my Shermans dieing everytime theres a brick thrown at them!

Here are some quick tips. You can probably find a lot more detailed guide by JasonC by searching the forums.

1) Always move with caution untill you have located the enemy main force.

2) Use infantry to scout for the tanks and locate the enemy ATGs and armor before they spot your tanks (not always possible).

3a) Use your tanks in groups so that if something opens up on them, they will have superrior fire power over the enemy and can knock out whatever fried your tank.

3b) Use a tank with strong enough frontal armour to sustain few hits from the most common enemy anti-tank weaponry.

4) Never show your side/rear to the enemy unless you absolutely have to.

5) Always use cover!

Lots of things still left out of the list.

[ January 27, 2004, 01:34 PM: Message edited by: AC ]

CMBO Ambushes. Just to clarify a step that was left out of JasonC's post. You have to have the ambushers target the ambush marker itself.

I'm not too clear on the memory, but I think you can have units target ambush markers set by HQs other than the one under whose command they are as well.