What makes the game run slowly?

In my experience, the game slows down primarily for two reasons. The first is map size. If the map is ginormous, the camera controls become jerky and the game slows down. This can be assuaged by reducing the horizon limit "Shift+H." The second game slowing factor is a large number of moving/shooting units. Stationary and non-firing units do not seem to reduce game speed, regardless of number. But when the units of both the player and the AI begin to move and engage one another, there is much more data to be processed, and the game slows.

You can't fault BFC for this, as it is partly a user hardware issue, and partly a misuse of the game engine. CMAK was designed to be a company level combat game, with scalability up to battalion level. I've only noticed slowness in scenarios and operations with maps covering more than 10 square kilometers, and with OoBs in excess of brigade size on each side.

Well I have a 4km sq map, 2 companies of Germans, 4 platoons of StuG and 3 companies of Russians and about 20 guns. Run on a Pentium 4 with a ATI 256k RAM card.

It is not glacial but takes a 2-3 minutes to calculate moves. Also how do you feel about driving from one end of a 4km map to the other?

As players do you find this acceptable?

cheers

Hi DAF

Each to their own. I know a lot of players don't like large maps and lot's of units. me I prefer large maps with a manageable number of units (battalion tops although i do tend to scale down stuff with casualties etc). I make the sort of scenarios I like to play and if tohers like em also - well superb. If not hey I made it for me smile.gif

Other players prefer small maps, but me I hate being railroaded into a 1km x 1km map with limited avenues of approach smile.gif

Re your calculation - you can send me a copy and I'll compute some tunrs and see how long they take. That looks slow for your PC spec. How much RAM are you using? You can also try and turn off any background stuff (anti-virus software etc) and see if that makes any odds.

Cheers fur noo

George

Hi DAF

Your spec sounds pretty good. Does the map have lot's of craters, trees or elevation chnages? All that stuff appears to affect the speed of the game.

I'm busy with Charlie finishing off the end of the Strachwitz series - that's pretty much taking up the little time I have (full on with work right now). In between I'm doing CMSF stuff but at the moment all my scenario time is on Der Graf smile.gif

Got one scenario that will be ready to test after a few wee changes if you fancy? Be keen to see your new Russian offensive battle?

Cheers fur noo

George