where da heck is the winter ferdinand mod?

Just pointing it out. No snowy Ferdinand mod, got one for the Elefant but even that is a rustwerks one. Not against the rustwerks mods, just looking for something...flashier?

Maybe someone spruce up the rustwerks mod with some markings? If I had the time, I would be on it rightnow, but I have been buried in work for months it seems.

I don't really know the history of it, I mean... it looks just like the elefant and I know looks are not the whole machine. But how do you get from naming it the Elefant to...........Ferdinand or vis a vis?

"Ok Guys we are going to name this one after a big fat mammal and this variant ah well, what the heck name it after a Leader....."

(Assuming they are not naming it after Archduke Ferdinand. Which would be um.....regrettable?)

Well technically after their disastrous debut in the summer of 1943. the initial remaining Ferdinand AFV's were pulled out of service and shipped back to Germany. They where refitted and renamed, apparently the crews referred to them as elefants from get go.

The Elefants were then shipped to Italy, where a few did fight the Russians in the closing months of the war on the Eastern front.

So it would seem the Ferdinand historically never seen any winter combat, and only a few of the updated Elefants ever did see winter combat.

There is also a whitewashed version of these AFV's in Gorden Moleks CMMOS packs. These packs came with the CDV version of CMBB and they are also at www.combatmission.com

Originally posted by DEY:

Well technically after their disastrous debut in the summer of 1943. the initial remaining Ferdinand AFV's were pulled out of service and shipped back to Germany. They where refitted and renamed, apparently the crews referred to them as elefants from get go.

The Elefants were then shipped to Italy, where a few did fight the Russians in the closing months of the war on the Eastern front.

So it would seem the Ferdinand historically never seen any winter combat, and only a few of the updated Elefants ever did see winter combat.

There is also a whitewashed version of these AFV's in Gorden Moleks CMMOS packs. These packs came with the CDV version of CMBB and they are also at www.combatmission.com

The Ferdinand was quite succesful at Kursk, what let it down was it's inability to deal with infantry at close quarters. The Ferdinands actually broke through the Russian initial lines but were halted with artillery and close combat.

Panzerjaeger-Abteilung 653 fought through from July (at Kursk) to late December (on the Djnepr) in the Nikopol Bridgehead .

The surviving Ferdinands were progressively withdrawn to Austria for refit where they became the Elefant (with the MG). You can imagine they were well overdue for refit by that time and the crews were in desperate need of a break.

They operated quite succesfully for the behemoth they were. By the end of November the 1st Battalion had recorded it's 600th kill on the Russian front.

They never sported a winter camouflage scheme, as when winter came, the remaining vehicles were in the process of withdrawl...

nikopol3pv0.jpg

nikopol1wl6.jpg

nikopol2yp0.jpg

I played this scenario with a friend a few months back. Which is when I too was looking for a winter camo Ferdy, but found out that there is none.

***SPOILER BELOW***

-Nikopol Bridgehead-

The Ferdinands are apparently cloaked. One of them was never IDed as a Ferdy despite engaging several enemy tanks and also having enemy infantry somewhat close by(as close as 60m). Lots across the river just staring at the big guy, but still no spot for the entire game. My opponent got a false ID of a Tiger for the whole game, which he of course thought he could KO with the 85mm KVs. So he used a few T-34s as bait, not a bad idea, I might have done the same. But was futile and led to the destruction of 3/4 of his tank force. So with the Brummbar and other Ferdy blocking the other avenues of advance, this led to a surrender. Plus my usual aggressive defence led to a helluva river crossing for him.

Overall a good scenario no doubt, but the germans have a definite advantage in this one. Check out this big bad guys catch of the day.

ferdkillsdd7.png