Tank main gun elevation

This has probably been asked before, but is the elevation of tanks main guns restricted?

Additionally, can infantry riding on tanks fire?

The reason I ask is I read recently that Russian T34's in Berlin had real problems street fighting as their main gun couldn't elevate sufficiently to hit upper floors of buildings. Apparently they often overloaded their tanks with SMG squads who maintained fire on higher elevations.

No and no.

I know all about the first as I had a German SMG squad lurking in the top floor, merrily cutting down any Russkies who tried to make it down the road. The next thing I know, a T34 has hurtled round the corner and let rip with canister at about 10m. Full squad to eliminated instantly :eek: :mad: .

In real life, Soviet tanks also had a problem firing from hull down positions due to their low turrets. This is also not modelled in game.

All tanks and guns suffered from some sorts of elevation restrictions, well maybe some flak guns excepted.

I can relate one story where a Finnish Pak40 was in a nice position to nail Soviet tanks... except that as its position was on a hill, it couldn't aim low enough! Well, the other gunmen then lifted the "legs" of the carriage, which enabled the gunner to hit the targets.

The only place that I can think of that restricting elevation would have a real tactical effect is if you're facing infantry in upper storeys of buildings. The way it is now a tank 3 feet from a building can still hose the 2nd floor with coaxial mg fire. In real life the tank would probably have to reverse to the other side of the street before the coax mg would hit the upper storey.

In 99% of tactical situations in the game lack of elevation restrictions probably make little difference. House-to-house fighting in Stalingrad, it probably does.

[ February 13, 2004, 03:08 PM: Message edited by: MikeyD ]