New Scenario- Born Again Near Prokhorovka

I've just uploaded the above scenario at The Proving Grounds for playtesting. I've done some playtesting with it but I would appreciate others giving it a blast before it goes for'general release'!

It covers Rudolf Von Ribbentrop's armoured action against a Soviet tank assault, at which he won the Knights Cross of the Iron Cross.

Its a bit of a messy, brutal tank clash. I think it recreates the action (well based on the first hand reports I have read)pretty well -but then I am biased. I'd greatly appreciate any comments etc.

Cheers fur noo

George Mc

Originally posted by Alkiviadis:

Interesting map, very similar to Franko's "KP Tank Warning" at B&T

Hhhm.. Not sure whay you mean by that. If you mean 'interesting' as in challenging/good to look at etc thanks for that. if you mean 'interesting' as in 'did you base it on his/copy etc' then no. the map was drawn based on ribbentrops description of the layout of the terrain. In his description of the action he does give a detailed account of the lay of the terrain etc. Its a simple job to then scale it appropriately. other detail - i based on some photos and a large scale map - the rest is pure and simple eye candy.

If I have misinterpreted your innocent comments then my sincere apologies and many thanks for taking the time to look up the scenario - I would appreciate any further feedback smile.gif - and promise I'll interpret any comments in the spirit they were intended!

If indeed you had suspicions about the origin of the map I trust my comments have explained it.

And that indeed its origins are my own original work - I have'nt even played the scenario you mentioned.

Cheers fur noo

George Mc

I just had a look at them both, they must portray the exact same engagement but they certainly are made separately. There's so many differences.

Quite interesting, actually, when two designers independently produce a scenario about the same battle but with slightly different sources. I wonder if there are other similar cases (Villers-Bocage springs to mind).

Originally posted by Sergei:

I just had a look at them both, they must portray the exact same engagement but they certainly are made separately. There's so many differences.

Quite interesting, actually, when two designers independently produce a scenario about the same battle but with slightly different sources. I wonder if there are other similar cases (Villers-Bocage springs to mind).

There are 2 versions of Villars-Bocage. One that came with CMBO & another by, I believe ( not sure ) WWB.

Sergei,

Another example of two scenarios depicting the same engagement is Knifefight at Cecina on the CMAK CD and my own Cecina Counterattack at the Proving Grounds.

Same battle, very similar OOBs, but substantially different maps.

I'm still looking for a few player comments on mine before submitting it to the depot, if you're interested.

Originally posted by Alkiviadis:

You probably looked at the same source map then, load up "KP Tank Warning" at Boots & Tracks.

Is that an apology? :confused: As i stated earlier the work is my own interpretation of Ribbentrops account, plus any research I did - any errors etc are all my own. As to your inference that I used or copied Franko's work - that I do object to. I have just had a look at his work 'Tank warning'. yes there are similarties but then again they are both based on the same event, at the same place at the same time -so I guess they would/should look similar. Thanks to the others on the forum who have also pointed this out.

As 'Tank warning' is an op, and mines a battle it would make copying maps a bit difficult. once a battle map always a battle map - once an op map always an op map - as far as I know.

Alkiaviadis I'd appreciate before you start making public accusations or inferences that you at least check your facts my friend. If you go around the Highlands here making slanderous remarks like that the local custom is to loup the offenders heid awf wi ain strik o yer blade. You have been warned ;)

Cheers fur noo

George Mc

ps. Franko your op looks excellent. great map and historical brief. When life slows down a bit here in the sunny Highlands I'll get around to playing it because it has the feel of promising some excellent and challenging play.

jeez George Mc. with his first comment he said it was interesting: this is a good thing.

with his second he said they looked the same because they are both from the same piece of ground: this means your CM map must be accurate.

now you are accusing him of making accusations when you're the only one doing so.

a) are you sure it's not "dirk"?

B) what do you think of the role of airpower in the ETO?

Yee Ha! trust the Scots eh? Start a fight in an empty house eh:)

Looks like it is me that is to start the apologies. So Alkiviadis I apologise matey for wrongly inferring that you were implying that I had been up to some hookey mischief. I take back my comments. Whaurs NYC anyways? Is that near Auchultibui?!

Yours Apologetically

George Mc

ps To Other Means

The dirk is a fairly large knife - used for close in fighting or quite sneak behind and slit the throat type of stuff. The 'blade' would be what became known as the Claymore (originally a huge two handed sword which was last used at the battle of Killiekrankie - by all eye witness accounts it made a bit of a mess of anyone it touched)but is more properly known as the broadsword (just like the one used by Liam Neeson in the Hollywood corruption of Rob Roy McGregors life).

Originally posted by Other Means:

Claymore = big sword doesn't it?

Aye it does. if your interested you should track down W.H.Murrays biography of Rob Roy McGregor. Its a fascinating book, not only describing his life and times, but also gives a very clear and untartanised view of Highland life in the 18th century.

Cheers fur noo

George Mc