Small battles are my favourite!

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i have been playing/learning the russians for the past few weeks.

i have found a sweet spot for 300 points russian defense versus german probes (AI):

date: well i played from june 1941 to feb 1942

russian: mech or infantry (Low)

german: combined (Medium or high)

rarity: standard or none

noon.

map is either moderate or sparse trees, hills moderate or gentle slopes

buying russian:

- Normal or SMG platoon

- 2 to 3 Tank hunters

- 1 HMG + 2 LMG

- 1 x 75mm AA or (if rarity off) the 8x mm AA

- maybe 1 or 2 45mm ATG

- 2 x TRP

I usually hide everything until the enemy is quite near and the smg (around 100m) can reach them. At this range, i position the TRPs about 200 - 300 meters. The MGs are interlocked between the troops. Hide, hide and hide until the germans crosses half-way through the open stepps, then the dilemma for the troops to either run forward or run back.

My observations:

- as this is pre-43, all the German tanks are quite susceptible to the 75mm atg gun. usually at close range, one shot is enuff to penetrate. Unlikethe 45mm which takes forever.

- Tank hunters make great forward defense, nothing ruins a 222 or 251/10 than having a green tank hunter worth less than 10 points killing it. Tank hunters work in pairs and they are equipt with SMGs, quite lethal against troops.

now, if only i have had success with the russian tanks compared to the ATGs.... smile.gif

This tread has inspired me to finish up some of my delayed tiny and small battles. One is at Scenario depot now, "Small battles, of cats and men". Tomorrow "Small battles, COSSACKS! ALARM!" will go up.

Cats and men is actually a tiny one, somewhat difficult.

Originally posted by SFJaykey:

On the question of small-bore artillery: I have found the 4-tube german 75 module useful for suppression and laying smoke, though agree the 2-tube module doesn't have enough weight of fire to be useful. ROF is slower than the 81mm mortars, but blast is more powerful and smoke duration longer. - Matt

Actually that 2-gun German 75mm is one of the most flexible around, esp. for a QB. Imagine targeting 4 to 6 such spotters on your target... the ROF is quite nice. Either that or maybe two 6-tube 75mm spotters, or 3x 4-tube spotters, etc. to simulate Battalion fire instead of just single batteries.