Suggestions for Realism/Option settings for beginners

I would suggest learning the game with maximum realism on.

A good way to learn the ins and outs of the game is to play some hotseat games against yourself. Also start small with a few quick battles and experiment with what all the units are capable of.

Happy playing! I am still stuck with CMBO until my financial situation improves and/or the next incarnation of CM comes out.

If you have any experience with wargames before, then go for the full or extreme FOW - maybe first experiment with full FOW (so that you better see the effects of your fire), then switch to extreme.

At first you might also want to give yourself a bit of bonus against the AI. And setting up Quick Battles with yourself possessing KV's in 1941 or Tigers in 1943. Eventually you have learned enough to try to defeat the KV's in 1941 or Tigers in 1943!

Playing without FOW at all isn't particularly interesting. And if you have any earlier experience (like Steel Panthers), then you already know the principles of FOW. But maybe playing with partial or full, instead of extreme FOW, is helpful, because that way you have a better idea of your enemy stats like casualties, his weapons etc. Later when you understand those mechanics you can switch over to extreme FOW.