Gun question....

Der Kuenstler,

I'll have a crack at it. From Gander and Chamberlain, WEAPONS OF THE THIRD REICH

p. 274

7.5cm LeIG 18, barrel length 11.8 calibers, max range (normal charge) 3550 meters (super charge) 4600 meters, MV (charge not specified) 221m/sec.

p. 174

7.5cm LeFK 18, barrel length 26 calibers, max range (charge not specified) 9425 meters, MV (charge not specified) 425m/sec.

Basically, a significantly longer barrel, in some models L/40 ish, with concomitant rise in MV and range mark the difference between the primarily intended for direct fire infantry gun and the equivalent caliber howitzer type weapons. I checked to make sure that the LeFK had elevation capabilities on par with same/similar caliber howitzers belonging to other nations, and it does.

Regards,

John Kettler

Der Kuenstler,

Ellros makes an excellent point. Given the greatly expanded battlefield size, it would've been nice

had the dual capabilities of many of the smaller artillery pieces been properly modeled. Meanwhile, I practically tore my CMBB Strategy guide apart and even checked the Unit Editor in CMAK in an effort to find firepower ratings for the various guns, but found none under Support, none under Artillery, and none in the reams of tables in the Strategy Guide. Generally speaking, unless given HC rounds, the stubby guns will not penetrate armor as effectively as the longer barreled guns. Nor will their accuracy be on par

because they can't shoot a flattish trajectory as far, making it hard to hit armor at any real range. OTOH, well handled on the defense, stubby guns can be the very devil to locate and kill.

Ellros,

Where are those Firepower Ratings (Blast Ratings?) of which you speak? Could've sworn they were in CMBO, but they're not in CMAK that I can see, and the only such ratings I found in the Strategy guide along these lines were the Firepower Ratings for the various infantry units.

Regards,

John Kettler

Der Kuenstler,

For a most useful crash course on WW II artillery weapons and their design and performance, may I recommmend you buy, borrow, or read at the library

former Royal Artillery Master Gunner Ian Hogg's THE GUNS:1939-1945 in the old Ballantine's WW II series?

It's awash in great technical data, photos, line drawings and illustrations which should rapidly get you up to speed. One of my favorite sections has two facing page shots neatly illustrating some of what we've been talking about. On the left is the ZIS-3 76mm dual purpose divisional gun; on the right is the tiny, stubby 76mm regimental gun. Call the comparison stark!

Regards,

John Kettler