Infantry too tough?

add another texan to the roster, general! yee hawww! this game may have been invented by yankees, but it was obviously made for us southerners. used to, the opposite of a yankee was a reb. then it was a commie. then the soviet union fell. now i guess it's a terrorist. the point is that i have no point. anyway, back to the reb thing. them damn yankees cheated and won the war between the states, but now it's our turn. you just have to think of the germans as the yankees and the soviets as the rebs and you see what i mean. only WE have the advantage of numbers this time! what am i talking about? i have no idea, but it's a great game and welcome to it!

once your settled in, you should try biltong's campaign. it's a set of rules for solo play that starts off in 41 and now he's added a 42 set as well. unfortunately, it's from the german side, but it allows you to play continuously with a "core" force during the entire campaign. there's a thread that explains it better than i can on this forum, so look it up and try it out.

take care and good hunting!

Something that might help is remembering that you don't need to 'destroy' the enemy squad. Squads have 'morale' levels. You can use Machine Guns or Mortars to Area Fire near them, which, after a couple of turns, will pin or even rout them. Routed or Broken troops are useless for several turns, and Pinned troops are more interested in keeping their heads down that in combat.

I think the whole discussion is a little misleading.

If anything, CMBB foxholes are too weak and some supression effects don't properly take cover into account.

It is true that infantry units take very few casulties under intense short-term fire, but putting them out of action with longer bombardement or fire works pretty nice.

Let me put it this way: these people hang out in some kind of cover, are heads down and survive a near hit by HE. If they make it through one rain of shrapnel chances are that subsequent HE hits around the same spot don't do anything either as long as the squad doesn't move and the cover doesn't collapse.

In real life you would get different chances of casulties by the different impact points of HE, in special by deliberately hitting vertical objects nearby (like trees or walls). That isn't modeled in CM, cover is always "round" and has the same protection to all sides and there are no HE bursts above ground from direct-fire HE.

What is modeled is that the more precise HE shots are more useful. The 75mm Panther gun has a small blast, but its precision makes it much more effective at long range against single units in cover than low-velocity guns.

Originally posted by Moon:

Tree-bursts and other "vertical" impact spots (like a wall nearby) are modelled in CM.

Treeburst from direct fire HE are modeled? That is news to me.

Can you tell more about the wall hits? Does that apply to buildings or the standlone walls?

So, if I shoot at a squad in a foxhole and behind a foxhole is a "qualifying" wall (building and/or standalone wall), then there is a chance that I hit the wall, creating a burst above ground level (which would hurt the squad more)?