unsatisfactory sound

I did a test today to see if I just hadn't been paying attention when it came to the sounds of battle in CMBB.

I set up a small battle that had the two opposing forces facing eachother at the outset, just yards away so as to get the action going right off. I zoomed right in to ground level and listened for the impending carnage. While there were tons of gunshots and grenade explosions I heard very few phrases from either side. Out of the hundred or so combatants annihilating eachother I heard one scream through the three turns I watched. I replayed these turns many times watching and listening from different angles and there basically was nothing but gunshots to be heard.

It may sound funny but this detracts from my immersion in the game, it almost sounds empty without all the soldiers screaming and hollaring and shouting commands. These added so much to CM and seem to be vacant in CMBB. I love the game don't get me wrong just wondering why the sound is lacking.

Is it just my copy or has anyone else noticed this. I am playing the European version by the way if that means anything.

I'll send the test battle if anyone would like to check it out themselves.

Mord.

I'd say within' three turns atleast 25 to 30 casualties were taken between the two sides. I watched for three turns, which I replayed quite a bit. I also started this test scenario over three times, quitting and rechoosing it from the scenario screen. Each and everytime I was at ground level moving here and there listening. out of 27 turns spaced over three new startups I heard one scream. I am at a loss for why.

Mord.

That could be so but CMBO never had an issue with it.

I just tried again, the casaulties were 108 Germans, 27 Soviets, and this time not one scream. A few more voices though in the last turn.

Would somebody like to try this test scenario to see if they hear any?

Mord.

[ January 20, 2003, 07:37 PM: Message edited by: Mord ]

Originally posted by Mord:

I just tried again, the casaulties were 108 Germans, 27 Soviets, and this time not one scream. A few more voices though in the last turn.

Have you a surround sound card installed? Are you using a 5.1 speaker system etc? If the drivers doesnt work properly you could get that result. It has happend to me, I could only hear sounds far away from where the camera was zoomed.

I am using Sound Blaster Live DE 5.1. I have it set for two speakers. I am getting gunfire sounds and explosions loud and clear just no screams when men are hit or a unit is wiped out. It's bizarre because in CM the screams and shouts and what not were very vibrant and constant when the fire fights got hot and heavy.

I had brought up, in an earlier thread wheather or not these elements had been left out of CMBB because it was very noticible. Kinda like how silence can be deafening.

I'd like if someone with a US version could try a quick test and someone with the Euroversion, could try also and compare. I have the scenario file ready. Just click go and the soldiers do all the work.

Mord.

mord

Something sounds wrong as CMBB has over 12 times more sounds of all types than CMBO. I know, I made them all. You should be hearing firing commands, guys spotting enemy units, and guys screaming as they take hits. Do you hear the sounds of the bullets zipping by and also impacting into the terrain?

It is possible that for some reason your sound card is only playing back a limited amount of sound channels. CMBB does check the capability of your sound card when its luanched and sets the max amount of channels that it will use at this point.

I would suggest looking to see if any new drivers are available for your sound card.

The different versions Euro/US should have no impact on this at all.

Madmatt

[ January 21, 2003, 05:22 PM: Message edited by: Madmatt ]

Yes I was hearing the zinging of the bullets and the Pfft Pfft noises of them hitiing the ground. I was even picking up the sounds of the bullets pelting metal when the germans shot up a Russian AFV. Every sound was coming through but the screams and shouts and a minimal amount of talking/order giving.

I will search for a new driver and post back what I find. Thanks everybody for replying.

Mord.

You know, come to think of it. With CMBB I don't notice all the hooting and hollering that went on in CMBO when the order to move out was given. I mean, in CMBO when one gave an order to move out to a platoon, much less a company, it was like the circus had come to town. I don't get all that in CMBB. Some, but not like that.

Yes, I get the bullets a whizzing and the birds a singing and the trees a swishing. If only we had brooks a babbling...

[ January 21, 2003, 06:35 PM: Message edited by: Bruno Weiss ]

As far as I know unit selection has no baring on hearing the screams and the like. Besides being an audible enchancment to the game these screams were always telltale sounds when firing or droping arty on suspected positions of the enemy. If you heard a few screams but didn't see any soldiers you atleast knew you were aiming in the right direction.

Mord.

Ok I checked and there were no updates for my drivers, but I did find a wav play back selector in my Creative Launcher task bar. I set it for full which was 32 wavs at one time. No different there. I set it for zero. No different than before. I guess it has no baring on the game sounds. I am at a loss. I hope other players will listen more closely so that maybe BFC can look into this just to see if maybe there is something wrong and can be fixed before the next patch is released. I am not trying to sound bitchy but the battles just sound empty without all the voices echoing in the background. Ive played this battle over fifty times now and only one scream.

Mord.

That's cool Matt. It must be something to do with my computer configuration. I'll keep messing around with it. I am hoping to get a monster machine in the next few months anyway so maybe things will change. I'd just hate for the sound immersion in the game to be less than than that of CMBO when CMBB excells in all other areas.

How are the sound effects that are the same chosen? Like a scream for instance, there are twenty three correct? So does the program just randomly grab one and use it when the time comes or is there a sequence. I am asking because I have noticed in both CMs there is a tendency where only a few are played and once in a great while you might hear a different one.

Thanks for taking the time to reply everybody.

Mord.