Question for Terrain Modders - help with Steppe?? CMBB CMMOS File Lists wrong?

I am using the CMBB file lists I downloaded from CMHQ a while back, and they seem to have given me a bum steer.

(Incidentally, I noticed the listings for the bridges has the same bmp number for all four tiles - pehaps this has been corrected more recently, but if not...)

Anyway - I was lead to believe that Steppe terrain has its own terrain files - ala the lists. But I find that the grass/open ground listed as "steppe" in CMMOS is actual dead grass in winter months.

How does CMBB do Steppe terrain? It seems to take a standard open ground in summer tile and just warp the colours. Is this correct, or is there actually a specific set of steppe tiles I haven't discovered yet?

EDIT - it occurs to Mister Jackass that he could have just checked the Mod Database...off to download Captain Wacky's Steppe mod and try and glean his answers.

Anyway, if MikeT is reading this, perhaps the file listing info will be useful... redface.gif

Second Edit - okaaayyy....same numbers as what I used for Steppe. Very odd. Has anyone else had any problems modding steppe?

Third Edit - okay, now I'm thoroughly confused. Wacky's "Steppe Terrain" is used when

In January, plain open ground is specified

In June, when Steppe is specified

When I removed the Steppe in June, it switches back to the default open ground terrain.

So I take it the Steppe tiles (1570-1590) also represent wintertime grass (presumably without steppe doodads?) :confused:

[ May 25, 2003, 11:00 PM: Message edited by: Michael Dorosh ]

Michael,

the steppe grass is BMPs 1570 - 1589. These textures are also used as winter grass. When used as steppe, they are tinted red. However, the steppe textures only appear when a map is *mostly* steppe terrain, otherwise the standard grass for the season (summer or winter) is used for any steppe tiles that appear, with the addition of the steppe "doodads".

I hope this answers your question.

Yes, that confirms what I found out by experience.

I am aware that >50% of the map has to be Steppe before it is invoked (heh....I read the manual!)

But - the "tint" - is it hardcoded (like night terrain being darker), or is one of the other BMP's applied to it? I think I may know the answer to this as well... :-( I am doing some funky colours for terrain, and the "red tint"...err....does some extraordinary things to it...

As far as I can tell, the red tint is hardcoded.

I seem to remember DD mentioning that he contacted BFC about this. You might try asking him for any info he might have.

In my experience, it's easier to create green winter/steppe grass. The red tint will convert it to a sort of golden brown, mixed with green. If you create a yellow or brown winter/steppe grass, the red tint can cause weird colours to show up when your grass gets tinted, e.g. purple spots. This seems to be caused by an excess of red in the grass.

Anyway, good luck with your modding... smile.gif

• 4 years later...

I can't find this easily in the manual. I've double checked the sections on The Environment

[Look People fans can add an "OOOOOOOOOOO AAAAHHHHHHHH"]

and The Editor, and I couldn't find it?

I ended up renumbering the Steppe BMPs to the Open Ground BMPs.

I find it a tad strange that steppe areas would have green grass in Oct/Nov, and even Sept. seems unlikely? Heck, I would've linked it to any Dry or Very Dry condition during the spring/summer months!

Originally posted by Michael Dorosh:

[snipped by Brent]

I am aware that >50% of the map has to be Steppe before it is invoked (heh....I read the manual!)