Rear Facing Machine Guns, Just for show? or shooting?

I bought a tank, a fat one, dont recall what it was called, but it had a rear facing machine gun. Then a german sqaud casualy strolled up behind my tank and threw a antitank charge at me. The rear firing machine gun did not do anything. Are these guns functional in this game or are they just for show?

Actually, they seem to function fine.

I just ran a quick test with a KV1 M41. Check its stats: it the game lists it as having a turret rear MG and also has an icon and ammo listed for it in the weapon/ammo area of the status display.

I gave it a covered arc command to the rear. Next turn, I told it to area fire to the turret rear (and bow front); both the bow MG and turret rear MG fired and consumed ammo.

The thing to remember about rear turret MGs is that they get operated by the same crew who are possibly busy firing the forward facing stuff. I don't know the ins and outs of BFC's approach, but in ASL you can't fire the rear MG in the same turn that you've fired the coax.

I've definitely seen the rear MGs fire in play.

I've also noticed that they only fire occasionally.

It's possible that BFC has modeled some of the 'multitasking' aspects of the rear-firing MG usage in the game; I can't say for sure. However the model is actually working, it is certainly realistic that the rear-firing MG would not always fire on enemy behind the AFV. At the very least, the tank crew probably wouldn't even notice enemy infantry at their 6:00 a good part of the time.

Whatever the case, tank crews can and will fire at soft targets with the rear MG at least on occasion. I generally try to avoid having enemy infantry in the rear quarter of my AFVs, so I've only seen the rear-firing MG go active a few times, though.

Cheers,

YD