Interesting 1944 picture from the Budapest Military museum

I was in Budapest in May. Unfortunately I escaped my work related activities for only an hour to take a look at the museum.

This one picture was amusing as it shows that "whatja ma-callit" they created for upgrading the 37mm.

From what I can understand from the label, it seems to have been used by the Hungarians up to 1944?

Hungarian speaking grogs???

Hungarian%20picture%2037mm.jpg

That's the 3,7-cm-Stielgranate 41, a muzzle-fitted hollow charge grenade (present in CMBB from Jan '42). A way of providing the ATG companies some more measures of countering the T-34 menace at a time when Pak 38 wasn't as common and Pak 40 not available. It weighed 8,5 kg, could penetrate 180 mm and had an effective range of 300 m. And was prone to misfires.

I would guess májusában is a conjugation of May, panceltoron probably means anti-tank gun or men. Prokurawánál might be a place name (sounds more Polish than Hungarian to me). Yes, it is very late date for such. :confused:

[ August 31, 2003, 01:08 PM: Message edited by: Sergei ]

Ah you will note there is only one picture. After the first one I was blitzed by guards speaking the unspeakable in Hungarian.

My DD form 2 A certainly didn't impress them!

They had a number of puzzling photographable items there that would have been amusing to Cm'ers!

Originally posted by bardosy:

Yeah! You are very good hungarian speaking... :)

Well we Fenno Ugrians gotta keep together! :D Hungarian seems very cozy language to me because there's no Indo-European style separate prefixes like "on", "in", "na", "za" etc. but like in Finnish, all that is added to the words. Like house = talo, in house = talossa.

Originally posted by Sergei:

Well we Fenno Ugrians gotta keep together! :D Hungarian seems very cozy language to me because there's no Indo-European style separate prefixes like "on", "in", "na", "za" etc. but like in Finnish, all that is added to the words. Like house = talo, in house = talossa.

Yes, and we have some same words, I think... :)

One of my favorite (non-wwi) movie is Night on Earth, and in this say the finnish taxi driver: "Minne menne" (or something near) and it's very close to the hungarian language (go = menni)

Originally posted by Hans:

Ah you will note there is only one picture. After the first one I was blitzed by guards speaking the unspeakable in Hungarian.

hehehe... :) You have very good reflex. I had no time to take one.

I used to visit this museum frequently. I love hear stupidity what tell the fathers to theirs sons. :) Once somebody told his son about an optical distance-meter, this is a bazooka. :D

And do you remember the big guns at front of museum? Every father tell his son the hungarians defend the Castle with these guns against the turkish. But the hungarians never defend the Castle against the turkish, because the turkish captured the Castle with trick (cheat). And this guns are from India in the 19th century, when the turkish are very far. :)

Originally posted by ParaBellum:

Or a thread about good Goulash recipes! :D

Isn't it called Pörkelt in hungarian?

I could need a good recipe, autumn is coming... [/QB]

I hate people whose only faint memory or idea about Hungary is the gulyás, especially when they can't spell it correctly.

(BTW, pörkölt means stew smile.gif )

Originally posted by bab:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by ParaBellum:

Or a thread about good Goulash recipes! :D

Isn't it called Pörkelt in hungarian?

I could need a good recipe, autumn is coming...

I hate people whose only faint memory or idea about Hungary is the gulyás, especially when they can't spell it correctly.

(BTW, pörkölt means stew smile.gif ) [/QB]</font>

Originally posted by bab:

I hate people whose only faint memory or idea about Hungary is the gulyás...

There was this little Hungarian cafe on 3rd. Ave. when I was in Manhattan 30 years ago that had terrific spinach soup. But frankly, I didn't think their gulyás (to use your spelling) was so hot. They did have pretty good meat loaf though.

smile.gif

Michael

A lot of years a go I made a survey about "what is your stereotypes (topic) about Hungary?" The answers was fun: from the "blond girls" to the "lot of mathematics and turkish bath".

What are your stereotypes about Hungary???

I think a CM player have other one, then a simple non-hungarian.

Originally posted by bardosy:

A lot of years a go I made a survey about "what is your stereotypes (topic) about Hungary?" The answers was fun: from the "blond girls" to the "lot of mathematics and turkish bath".

What are your stereotypes about Hungary???

I think a CM player have other one, then a simple non-hungarian.

I'm interested too, so bump I go.