TCP/IP problems

I posted this on the tech forum as well, but I'm just curious how many of you are experiencing problems while trying to connect via tcp/ip.

ANd yes - i have tried both opening the correct ports and totally disabling my firewall, to no avail.

[ January 08, 2003, 07:59 PM: Message edited by: arkai88 ]

Actually i play quite a few internet games and even set up my own mw4 server from behind a router.

The problem is still there even with all firewall protection that I know of turned off completely. I normally use norton internet security which is fairly straightforward, but as I have windows xp, I also have to make sure that it is turned off as well.

I don't at this time have problems with any other games.

Is this a hardware based firewall or just a software based one? How did you "bypass" it?

Reason I ask, is that I have router and thus a hardware based firewall on top of a software one. I opened the correct port time after time, I'd open the control panel for the router and see that port open yet I couldn't host a game. I reset the router as well. Not until I unplugged the cable modem and then reset the router did the settings take place, though it appeared that they had all along.

at this time, as far as I know, I have simply software (norton and xp) - I took the router back as it really didn't make life any easier and therefore was a waste of $60.

I am currently in the process of wiping cmbb from my machine and re-installing from scratch as I no longer have any other ideas.

btw - i'm on a cable modem, so that's what I mean as far as not really being sure what firewalls i have in place. I've heard that some providers of cable internet access have firewalls at their end that could cause gaming problems. That still wouldn't explain why I have been able to connect once in a while.

[ January 08, 2003, 08:46 PM: Message edited by: arkai88 ]

Have you tried making a connection with the router now removed from your setup ?

I've seen some firewall programs cause some unexpected problems with TCP/IP connections (though this was usually true of all TCP/IP packets) with little indication that anything was wrong. If you're willing to experiment, I suggest actually uninstalling the Norton Firewall product to see if this helps.

Reinstalling CMBB from scratch should make little difference other than to exercise your hard drive and CD. There are only a couple of files that are responsible for TCP/IP in CM (TCPIP.DLL, TCPIP.LIB, OPENPLAY.DLL & the CM executable). So reinstalling all of the files is just a way to burn time.

I suggest 'PINGing' the IP addresses you're given several times to see if they'll respond properly and then attempt a connection (though some users' setups won't respond to a PING either). You can try a 'TRACEROUTE' too to see if there are any slow spots in the route to your opponent.

I just got a game to connect after turning off norton and turning on my xp firewall (go figure), now the test is to see if it works 2 times in a row.

EDIT: well turning ON my xp firewall seems to have solved the problem. Not sure how that is possible unless the xp firewall is somehow working even when it's listed as disabled. I did have to open the port manually, but this still makes little sense to me.

[ January 08, 2003, 10:49 PM: Message edited by: arkai88 ]