How to use on board Mortars ??

JK

Question ? for on-board mortar teams without spotters, do they have to have line of site to the target before they can fire or can some one else in the platoon (with LOS to the target) call fire in on the target for them ?? if so how do you do this ?? :confused: :confused:

What happens to me is, before I can get a mortar rounds off I need to position my team so that they have line of site to the target - which after the first shot usually draws fire their way and they have to back off or are supressed.

The HQ in command of the mortar can spot for the mortar. It needs a red command line. The current HQ in command is the one used, regardless of original unit assignments. The HQ needs to be able to see the target location - whether it can see a unit there or not. The HQ must not be hiding (and in command implies, not panicked broken or routed etc). The mortar must be stationary and set up, also not hiding, good order etc. The target location must be beyond minimum and under maximum range of the mortar.

Then you just target the spot you want to fire at with the mortar unit. Even if it is out of LOS of the mortar, if it is within LOS of the HQ the targeting line will "stick" and say "area fire". The mortar will fire at that location for the full minute. The aim point will not adjust for movements of the target within the minute. You can of course change the aim point at the start of the following turn.

In addition to all of the above, if you have a TRP and any onboard mortar -that has not moved in the whole game-, you can fire at the TRP without a spotter or LOS. Anything within 20m of the TRP is a valid aim point. The targeting line will again "stick" and say area fire. There is no delay to on board mortar fire at a TRP. In the mortar ever moves, it loses its ability to fire at TRPs (it is a matter of registering on the target with spotting rounds, pre-game, essentially).

I hope this helps.