Meeting Engagements/Scenarios/TCP-IP

Hello:

I am looking for Meeting Engagement scenarios, at about 2,500 points total or less, 30 turns or less (I have found this to be ideal for TCP/IP play). I have pretty much tapped out The Scenario Depot and The Proving Grounds. Is there anywhere else I should be looking? While those two sites have provided some excellent scenarios that fit the parameters I have specified, the overall number of them seems surprisingly low.

Are Probes, Attacks and Assualts popular via TCP/IP? I've stuck to Meeting Engagements thus far, as it seems to me that the defender has nothing to do but "hurry up and wait" in the other types of scenarios.

Thanks in advance for any information.

Try and get a copy of JasonC's scenario on a Meeting Engagement. It's set up to more effectively and historically simulate how a "real" meeting engagement might have occured in France/44.

It's set up in a way that brings each sides forces into play in a series of reinforcements, representing reinforced companys/btns (?) on the move. It's well researched (of course), so it feels very authentic. The map is not bad either. The Orders of Battle for both sides are exact, I'd imagine.

I've played it from both sides (versus the A.I.) and it was fun both times. Though I know it would be WAY more fun against a human opponent.

I think it's titled Meeting Engagement France or something original. ;)

Gpig

EDIT: Oops. Just realized he made that scenario of CMAK, not CMBB. Sorry.

[ June 13, 2007, 10:51 PM: Message edited by: Gpig ]

Caretan See Saw.

Somewhat long for what he wants, though. It was meant as a series of developing fights, he wants a quick clash.

5th Tank Army vs. 24th Panzer in the Operation Uranus scenario pack is quite a good fit. It is available at the proving grounds.

Gentlemen:

Thank you for the replies. Let me clarify my question.

I have used up everything I can in The Proving Grounds (including JasonC's scenarios -- as an aside, thank you for those), The Scenario Depot and Boots 'n' Tracks.

My question is this:

Are there any other sites where one can obtain more scenarios?

Thank you.

I would recommend you start building your own ME battles. Sounds like you've got the experience now to make some good ones. smile.gif

JasonC, was your published version of Caretan See Saw a lot different from the playtest version?

Gpig

No offense taken.

Your point is well taken; however, ME scenarios can be designed in such a way as to avoid the flag rush. This one http://www.the-scenario-depot.com/scenario_details.html?command=search&db=scenarios.db&eqskudatarq=773 is a good example. A flag rush would be suicidal here.

Another technique is to place two small victory flags, one on each side, far from the middle so each side starts with the same amount of voctory points and has no chance of capturing the opposing flag. And then the only way to score points is to destroy enemy forces, not capture a flag in the middle of the board. At that point, terrain objectives become subservient to destroying the enemy, not the other way around.

Originally posted by jtcm:

No offence meant (and this was discussed in earlier thread) but i dislike MEs against humans, because of their flag rushy element. Not realistic, surely; better probes, assaults, attacks.

You need to try some of the HSG scenario ME's then.

The later ones are specifically designed to avoid flag rushing. In HSG KH Blood Road for instance, there are 12 flags on the map. Flag rush all you like in that scenario. You are still going to have to fight to control the map and all of those flags are not set to allow for instant domination. Rushing towards those in the open can get you killed quickly.

The main issue with flag rushing should be a QB issue a well versed game designer can take that out of a premade scenario for the most part.

MR

Originally posted by Dunhill06:

Hello:

I am looking for Meeting Engagement scenarios, at about 2,500 points total or less, 30 turns or less (I have found this to be ideal for TCP/IP play). I have pretty much tapped out The Scenario Depot and The Proving Grounds. Is there anywhere else I should be looking? While those two sites have provided some excellent scenarios that fit the parameters I have specified, the overall number of them seems surprisingly low.

Are Probes, Attacks and Assualts popular via TCP/IP? I've stuck to Meeting Engagements thus far, as it seems to me that the defender has nothing to do but "hurry up and wait" in the other types of scenarios.

Thanks in advance for any information.

Have you tried the HSG meeting engagements?

They can be found here:

HSG Scenarios

These are based on actual battles.

MR

MR

• 2 weeks later...

Hello Mad R:

I have not tried the HSG MEs via TCP/IP, as they do not fit the parameters I am looking for. They are either too small or too large for my needs -- I am looking for something that can be wrapped up in 3-4 hours of online play, a narrow window indeed.

However, I have tried some of your work against the AI and have found it well-crafted. So thank you for providing those. I will certainly keep an eye out for your future submissions.

Originally posted by Dunhill06:

Hello Mad R:

I have not tried the HSG MEs via TCP/IP, as they do not fit the parameters I am looking for. They are either too small or too large for my needs -- I am looking for something that can be wrapped up in 3-4 hours of online play, a narrow window indeed.

However, I have tried some of your work against the AI and have found it well-crafted. So thank you for providing those. I will certainly keep an eye out for your future submissions.

How can they be too small, when you posted these parameters....

I am looking for Meeting Engagement scenarios, at about 2,500 points total or less, 30 turns or less (I have found this to be ideal for TCP/IP play).

Too large I can understand..but too small? The "or less" parameter should keep any scenario from being too small. Of all the parameters to use for searching for a battle the points is the worst. A 1941 Russian Front 2,500 point battle has far more units in it than a 1945 scenario. The later units cost more....so take a look at overall number of units and not the points. A good indicator is the size of the scenario.

Thanks for the kind words about my work. Glad that you find it competitive. I hope that you will try some of our small to medium ME's. If not well we tried... :D

Hope you find what you're looking for.

MR

I only have 1 ME - "Trappenjagd" at Scenario Depot. Smallish and only 22+ turns. There is airpower on the german side, so if you detest that best avoid.

** nevermind, i see you downloaded it on 3/28...you weren't lying about cleaning out TSD

[ June 26, 2007, 10:37 PM: Message edited by: Renaud ]

Hi MR:

Yes, I hear you.

I should have been more specific on the low end. I have been using points as a rough guage, as scenario descriptions do not tell you how many units are involved per se and use the point system instead. Since placing my original post, I've played some scenarios with 4,000 points that work just fine.

So you can say I''m still working out how to describe what I'm looking for. I have found many excellent examples at the Proving Grounds ("5th Tank Army vs 24th Panzer"), Scenario Depot ("No Withdrawal"), Boots and Tracks ("Izyum Diet Plan"), and Abbott's Combat Mission Page ("State Farm 79").

With these new caveats, which HSG battles would you recommend for a dynamic H2H that isn't a quick firefight nor a 6-hour affair? Three hours is about what I can typically spare for a match. Although, again, that is another subjective parameter, as speed of play for any given situation is difficult to predict. The other thing I find happening is that I become more experienced, I find I can manage increasingly larger forces in the same time frame.

With all that said, I''ll take any specific scenario recommendation you have and give a whirl, as they say.

Thank you for any help.

Renaud:

I count Trappenjagd also among the sort of thing I am looking for. I played that one as the Russians about two weeks ago, quite enjoyable, thank you for taking the time to make it. The airpower, while locally devasating, did not sway the overall results of the battle. It added a interesting and unpredictable element to the fight. Nice job on that one!