Another CMX2 feature: extending maps

Play along the edge of the map often? Just can't stop yourself from wanting one secure flank?

During such a battle where my enemy and I met head on in the edge area of a map, we wondered if a nice feature of CMX2 mightn't be an option for the map to keep building itself out, so that the secure flank option fades?

Wank? or a useful tool?

Of course extending the map toward the flanks without the possibiility of also encoutering additional troops seems a bit unrealistic as well.

If you want to discourage map edge hugging, a tool that would help would be to have some chance that having your forces in certain locations would trigger additional reinforcements. This would represent straying over into another defensive unit's frontage, and running into them.

There's nothing really to stop you (us) from constructing extended maps already! Just do your small battle in the center of a 4km square map and set your horizon (shift-H) to 1500m or so. Perhaps when making the map you could lock-down anti-tank guns or mgs on the edges to discourage roaming too far afield.

I once did a CMBB scenario where a couple folks complained the map was too big to be useful, but my whole point was to give the units sufficient elbow-room.