Tularemia, Biological Warfare, and the Battle for Stalingrad

Hmmmm, difficult to say. Perhaps this type of bacteria is difficult to analyse, at least to analyse whether it is a natural outbreak or a men made one. The conditions in Stalingrad were the perfect camouflage for such a test. I'm sure the Germans had special units looking for signs of bacterial/chemical warfare, but to suspect and to prove something are two different matters. Besides, perhaps the Germans had their reasons for not making it public. They weren't keen on starting a biological war, eventhough they were prepared for it. It's all possible, or impossible, but it sure fascinates me.

Originally posted by aragorn2002:

It is no fact, it is just speculation, based on some rumours. Why is that so shocking for some people? It is POSSIBLE, just as a natural outbreak would be possible. (Calming down again, taking a deep breath)...Anyway, I did expect more from this discussion.

It is also possible that I am a Chinese jet pilot.

Did you read the link that John provided? If so, what is your comment on it?

Originally posted by Bigduke6:

I think it was an biological experiement on both sides by aliens. That would explain all the unidentified aircraft seen by both sides' soldiers in the vicinity.

I really would like to tell you what I think, but it wouldn't be polite...

Originally posted by Andreas:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by aragorn2002:

It is no fact, it is just speculation, based on some rumours. Why is that so shocking for some people? It is POSSIBLE, just as a natural outbreak would be possible. (Calming down again, taking a deep breath)...Anyway, I did expect more from this discussion.

It is also possible that I am a Chinese jet pilot.

Did you read the link that John provided? If so, what is your comment on it? </font>

Anything is possible, hence Bigduke's comment on the aliens, I guess.

That does not tell us anything about whether it is also likely.

The authors of the medical journal have some pretty convincing facts at hand that make them believe that it was a natural outbreak. Alibek on the other hand gets his facts wrong ('never before was there such an outbreak'- there was), makes unsubstantiated claims ('the German offensive came to a halt'- that should be easy to check from German war diaries, guess what the proponents of the thesis have not done), makes a probably wrong call on the pneumonia, as explained by the other authors, and (worst of all) became convinced of his thesis, before even talking to anyone about it. Well, it is a good thing that the hearsay/interpretation of what the elderly lieutenant colonel told him then was in line with the conviction he already had. But note that he did not tell him so outright, but instead 'left him with no doubt'. What does that mean exactly, especially considering that Alibek was already convinced of his idea? On top of that there is no evidence that the Germans suspected foul play - one presumes that as the leading country in medical research before the war they would have had alarm bells going if something so much out of the ordinary had struck them?

None of this makes it impossible that Alibek is right of course, but taken together it makes it very unlikely that he is. The only way in which it depends on how you look at it is if your way of looking at it ignores all (or at least most) of the facts listed above, and the credentials of the publication publishing the rebuttal.

Does that mean Andreas discounts my aliens theory? Ouch! :mad: I should have known Chinese jet pilots were responsible.

Or wait...maybe it really was rats were responsible, and Aragorn is putting out disinformation to protect the rats' reputations...yah, that's it, this whole thread is because some rodent paid some one off, and what better place to rehabilitate rodents than in an Internet forum thread about diseases at Stalingrad.

Well I'm glad that's clear. The only thing I want to know it, do Chinese jet pilots count as aliens?

Originally posted by Bigduke6:

Or wait...maybe it really was rats were responsible, and Aragorn is putting out disinformation to protect the rats' reputations...yah, that's it, this whole thread is because some rodent paid some one off, and what better place to rehabilitate rodents than in an Internet forum thread about diseases at Stalingrad.

I guess it must be hard for you to live without the good old fashion censorship, but there's always an alternative.

Originally posted by Talk'scheap:

I heard this other crazy rumor about soviet tactics: when assaulted by the Germans, the Soviets sometimes not only weilded but actually fired their weapons, and even managing to kill some Germans. Jesus christ, that ruthless Stalin!

Talking sheep.Did you choose your name yourself or was it given to you?