A couple of books CMBB&CMAK

Army at Dawn by Rick Atchley is about the the US in the Tunsian campaign-- good read lots info on the in -fighting and how hard the real fighting was. Lots of good ideas here for the gamer-- the other is Seige A novel of the Eastern Front 1942-- Russ Schneider --very grim but a good read and good for gamers. After reading about the Tunisa stuff I am even more looking forward to the up coming CMAKO One thing though -- I really miss the tracers-- in one section of the Army at DAwn -- a GI told of there being so many green German tracers in the air that you could read book by them:0- also most main tank gun used a tracer element anyway -- I can play with out them but I miss them --if any one gets a chance the books are worth a look

The accounts I read didn't describe the Allied AT shots probably because they didn't tend to pay attention to something that wasn't trying to kill them. :D

The description was mainly about the 88 so I don't know if it applied in general. The curtain of dust was because of the German tendency to dig in the guns so that they were barely above the ground. The round ripping through the air at two or three feet would suck up dust behind it. Of course this means it probably only really applied when the Germans had time to dig in. Which probably also means it wont be in the game. Oh well, it would still be pretty neat to see. As long as you aren't on the recieving end that is.

Originally posted by Michael emrys:

I wonder about that "curtain of dust" comment. Was it smoke from the tracer or actual dust picked up from the desert floor by the shot's slipstream? I think the latter unlikely but am open to informed argument. And why only the German AT shot?

Michael

Michael, I have seen footage of a high velocity shot kicking up dust as it approached the target. It was from a Challenger on a range, but the effect was noticeable.

Noba.

Originally posted by Noba:

Michael, I have seen footage of a high velocity shot kicking up dust as it approached the target. It was from a Challenger on a range, but the effect was noticeable.

Thanks, Noba. It's good to know how these things work. I guess what sgtgoody(esq) was saying about the 88 would certainly hold true for a 120. I wonder if there was any of the same effect with the smaller calibers.

Michael

I wondered about the "88 mm rooster tails" of dust --what has been said makes sense thanks -- also just think these would --I guess- have been the flak 18 or basically the L 56 of the Tiger I-- not the much faster L71 or pak 43 which should really raise a dust tail-- I won't tell how Seige turns out-- another good book imho-- is Rock of Anzio -- I have read it several times and will again as CMAK approaches--

Here are SOME of the books for getting ready for CMAK.

The Arfika Korp, an Organizational History 1941-1943 by George F. Nafziger

The British Armies in World War Two, An Organizational History SUpplement Three

Order of Battle 1942-1944 by David A Ryan, Steve Rothwell, and David Hughes

The British Armies in World War Two, An Organizational History Volume Five The Australian Army by David A. Ryan. David Hughes, and Steve Rothwell

The British Armies in World War Two, An organization History Volume Two, Polish, Australian, Canadian, South African and Indian Armoured and Cavalry Divisions. British Regular Infantry Divisions by David Hughes, James Broshot and Alan Philson

The British Armies in World War Two, An Organizational History Supplement Two, Orders of Battle 1941 to 1942. by David A. Ryan, David Hughes, and Steve Rothwell

OOB of the Battle of Sidi Rezegh November 1941, by George F. Nafziger

Yikes...

Rune

I can also recommend

D-Day Dogers: The Canadians in Italy 1943-45 by Daniel G. Dancocks.

Also the official Canadian history by Gerry Nicholson called IIRC The Italian Campaign.

I would avoid the trilogy by Mark Zuehlke called ORTONA, LIRI VALLEY and the third whose name escapes me unless the other two were not obtainable.