Just downloaded demo

I know I'm slow but I just got a new computer and was afraid my old one wouldn't cut it. I've been experiencing the combat simulation known as CMBO since it debuted. It is my favorite computer activity.

********* DEMO SPOILER ***********

My first impression of CMBB was of the graphics. Way better than CMBO. The sound effects are nicer but the gun sounds and explosions seem quieter for some reason. I love the sound of bullets impacting the ground and metal though.

After I got over the eye candy I was able to play the sample scenerios and was left with a question.

CMBO tactics don't seem to be as effective in this game. As I played the tutorial scenerio I used tactics that would have worked in CMBO but I got smacked down pretty good in CMBB. I deployed my Maxim's and 50mm mortar as far back as possible but with LOS to the VL. I moved my platoon into the trees in front of the VL to get ready to assault. Then I split a squad and sent them ahead to get the enemy to reveal themselves. I spotted a light gun and opened up with both Maxim's and the 50mm mortar while my tanks hunted forward. In CMBO the gun would have been suppressed, the tanks would have moved forward and engaged the gun at which point the gun would have ceased to exist. But the gun was able to fire on my tanks even while machine gun fire poured in and 50mm HE rained down on it. That little gun took out both tanks! So what gives? Is this game more realistic? Could a dug-in light gun really withstand direct fire from two machine guns and indirect HE (as well as the one or two shots my tanks got off) long enough to K.O. the tanks?

I played all the scenerios as the Russians and performed poorly in each one using tactics that proved effective in CMBO. Does that mean that CMBO wasn't a very accurate simulation after all?

I think the general agreement is that CMBO infantry was much, much too robust and the MG's unrealistically ineffective against infantry. This has been changed in CMBB so that you really need to use suprressive fire, leapfrogging and overwatch tactics when trying to employ infantry, especially against MG positions.

As for the gun, if it was dug-in, it's realistically possible to survive MG fire and HE shelling; light HE doesn't really have much effect on a well dug-in positions except on a direct hit, and a far-off MG won't probably cause too much concern for the crew either (much less in any case as two tanks rolling towards it).

It's also possible that you hit one of the known bugs where a gun just behind a slope is almost impossible to hit. I don't recall whether this bug was present in the demo or not, but it's fixed in the latest patch (1.03c) in any case.

[ April 23, 2003, 03:02 AM: Message edited by: Engel ]

As I played the tutorial scenerio I used tactics that would have worked in CMBO but I got smacked down pretty good in CMBB
Dont worry ... that happened to lots of people when they first fired ups CMBB. You'll soon learn to modify the BO tactics for BB.

And if you are being beaten by the AI ... thats got to be the best reason for buying a game.

As you know what CM is all about I'm sure you wouldnt want to buy the game if you whipped the AI straight off !

Does that mean that CMBO wasn't a very accurate simulation after all?

At the time BO was released it was the best simulation on the market. It was way ahead of similar games that were available then....and most new ones that have been released since !

But times change and there is another, better game for you to spend your money on .... CMBB.

Also many (though not all) people dont think the demo scenarios show CMBB off to its best. The battles on the full game will keep you busy for months ... or longer !

My advice .... get the full version smile.gif

And remember, the demo is based on the original 1.0 CMBB engine, which has had several decent upgrades since then. So for example early T-34 vulnerability to 37mm gunfire has been pretty thoroughly tweaked between the demo and what's being sold. This game just keeps evolving.

After you buy the game (any you KNOW you will) for fun you should find the "Chance Encounter CMBB" and "Last Defense CMBB" scenarios that are out on several 3rd party scenario sites, including Tom's Combat Mission site. These are old CMBO demo scenarios redone using the CMBB engine. They really REALLY REALLY show off the greatly enhanced gameplay of CMBB.

for fun you should find the "Chance Encounter CMBB" and "Last Defense CMBB" scenarios that are out on several 3rd party scenario sites, including Tom's Combat Mission site. These are old CMBO demo scenarios redone using the CMBB engine. They really REALLY REALLY show off the greatly enhanced gameplay of CMBB.
MikeyD is absolutely correct on this.

Cheers,

Mike

[ April 23, 2003, 03:07 PM: Message edited by: mikster khan ]