Battle for Rostov 1942: Who was there?

lol

I can't help but laugh. If you had seen me chomping at the bit to turn around most of a company, before they finished going where they were going, but having to be patient and dealing with what the Captain on the field would be able to see, I did come close to putting a fist through the monitor. The decision made to only use the info that would be available, combined with your most helpful answer back in January to my recon question, made for a situation that I myself , even playing both sides, was surprised, and when I had a buddy play part, he did enjoy it also, although his part was only at the very end. So, I would say that if any people can enjoy it, it works. It gets more support for a game that is 7 years old, but still the best I have seen. That was the playable, challenging, and fun aspect you mentioned...as for realistic, it meshed well with what it should have done. Between this for ww2, and the new engine for current, they are extremely realistic as for results that would be expected given the tactical decisions made.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You continue to miss the operative phrase in every exchange.

"if plenty of other people can use it..."

"I did it once alone and I had fun" doesn't remotely cover it.

Putting a division on a single CM map isn't a design of anything, it isn't a campaign. It is just the perennial fiasco of "To the Volga", and we've all seen it fifty times and rejected it as hopeless, ages ago.

Actually "To the Volga" is proof that BFC, the people who actually designed the game system, did so to include larger units as well. It was certainly on my disk, and is what gave me the idea. It was on just one medium sized map, mine is on 3 large maps;

The fact that people reject something as hopeless is a barrier that never has stopped myself.

The original post I made was that it would be sufficient to use that, although I couldn't think of many reasons to do so. Since then I have already spoken with enough people to hold that as a campaign, which was my original point.

All that I am looking for is something that can put up a realistic turnout as a large scale tactical exercise, with enough "fun" to keep interest.

Thank you for your input.

[ March 20, 2008, 12:26 AM: Message edited by: abneo3sierra ]

Renaud, just got back from 10 day vacation myself.

I am currently adding the elevations to the "Battle For Rostov" campaign map. It is taking longer to do than it took to place the terrain.

(Plus my eyes start to melt out of my skull after about 60 min of staring at those elevation numbers!)

I should have this stage done by the end of April, at which time I also hope to have a rough set of rules ready to review. Thanks for your interest, hope this means you would like to participate in the campaign when it happens?

• 1 month later...

Latest from the BATTLE FOR ROSTOV, an overview of the Campaign Map.

The overall dimensions for the entire theater shown are 5km (5000m) wide by 4.5km (4500km) deep.

The map is divided into 5 Columns x 4 Rows. The first 3 Rows are 1000m x 1000m sectors. The bottom Row is 1000m wide x 1500m deep.

I anticipate the final battles to take place along the bottom row within the city itself, which is why they are slightly larger.

If you look closely you can see individual water hexes across the map indicating the corners of each sector. These will be removed before the final export from Mapping Mission to CMBB.

BattleForRostovCampaignMap.jpg

• 2 months later...