What point level would you recommend?

Reading as much as I can, as fast as I can to learn how to play this game effectively. The many posts are helpful. Just wondering, what point level would you suggest to have 1 or 2 platoons against the same in a random infantry battle. Want to start out small to learn command and control, tactics etc....

I tried 500 and the battle was too large. How do points relate to unit size?

Poor Man's ASL Website

[ October 24, 2003, 10:50 AM: Message edited by: JohnCalvin ]

I have been playing on the 500pt at the start of the war June 41. I have found that this gives you a good mix. The size is a bit bigger than a couple of platoons or a single company...however I have found it the best to learn the combined arms that you will need later on. 2 Infantry units pounding on each other does offer a challenge but add some armor,support or other vehicle and it changes the tactics incredibly. Just my 2 cents.

B

I am in the midst of a 300pt probe vs the same. Learning to use formations and assault tactics. I am also beginning to see what all the fuss is about. This is a great ... sim? game? whatever, the realism is the key. I actually decided not to purchase a new 1st person shooter ww2 type because of what I'm learning in this game. Thanks for the info...

Poor Man's ASL Website

A 300 point German attack in the summer 1941 would help you learn the basics without being overly complex. As mortars are organic at that time, you'd just have to add one or two HMG's to produce a force to develop your basic tactical skills. As you become more confident you can add an FO and an armoured vehicle in a larger game to develop those skills further.