Effective range of the Steilhandgranate question(s)

I think I have a pretty good idea of the effective throwing and blast ranges of pine-apple type grenades, but the german Steilhandgranate is so different from modern stuff I'm not sure how it would work out.

I guess you could probably accuratly throw them up to 50 meters, the handle should give it slightly better range then a normal grenade but not extremely so. And I wopuld guess that effective blast range would be 20 meters max, with kill range being nearly point-blank only.

That's my guesses, but what's the truth?

[ December 29, 2002, 12:47 PM: Message edited by: Foxbat ]

We used similar grenades in the Swiss Army until the 90s. To throw over 20 to 30 meters with good accuracy would be ok. But not farther except for some execptionally gifted soldiers.

The lethacy without additional splinter mantle (is this correct in English for Splittermantel ?) is very limited outside of foxholes, trenches or buildings. One of our proofs of courage was to lie flat on the ground (with helmet smile.gif ) 10 meters away from an exploding grenade and to emerge without a scratch. Almost all the explosive power goes up ...

In trenches, foxholes and buildings the effect is quite devastating though :D

[ December 29, 2002, 02:42 PM: Message edited by: winkelried ]

Thanks for the answers, seems like my own guesses were actually rather optimistic smile.gif

Still I suppose it makes sense for an offensive grenade to have a small blast range (10 meters, yikes!) so you can drop it in the trench and jump into the fray immediatly after. And for that you'd need accuracy rather than range I s'ppose.