Bogging not affected by speed?

Borrowing this from the "Panther Bogging" thread on the CMBB board, and Vanir Ausf. B:

quote:

Originally posted by Moon:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />

The faster you go, the higher the chance for bogging. Somebody mentioned that going faster is better because you cover more ground in the same time as a slower moving vehicle - well, this isn't the case. The chance to bog depends on DISTANCE, not TIME, travelled. Charles had foreseen this little "cheat" while coding the game.

Moon, numerous tests done by myself and others in both CMBO and CMBB have shown that CM does indeed calculate bogging per unit of time, not distance.

</font>

Yepp. I am the one who Moon refers to as "previous threads".

My tests indicate that, contrary to what Moon says, going fast has a higher chance of bogging by time but not by distance.

I didn't save the results nor did I run enough tests to be sure. I am sure however that whatever the chance is you are not substancially worse off by going fast, rather better.

I would agree for mud and snow. On the other hand, it was my understanding that bogging was also supposed to cover, in an abstract way, throwing a track or high-centering on an obstacle. I thought that this was what was happening in scattered trees or rocky terrain. These things would be more likely at speed.