Video Card Question

Howdy folks,

I'm the proud new owner of CMBB and am enjoying it quite a lot. My question here is, I have an ATI Radeon 9800 Pro (256), and as mentioned in the FAQ's/Troubleshooting section, I'm probably having problems with fog graphics. I set up a test scenario (made one) that has fog in it (assuming I did everything right, of course), and I seem to have unlimited visibility. Now, my question is, does one see unlimited visibility in the game, yet the LOS will reflect the fog characteristics, or, should one be able to actually see the fog (i.e. restricted vis in the game when looking across the field)? I did select the "SHIFT+W" until I had "Fog/Weather=Extreme" but there was no difference. If it is the latter, does anyone know of any ways one can make the fog appear with this card (different drivers, etc.), short of buying a new video card (not totally out of the question)?

I'm asking this because one fellow I know has an ATI 9700 and he apparently does see fog, but I'm not sure if he has this game or not.

Many thanks for the assist. smile.gif

Glenn

Originally posted by Canuckgd:

Howdy folks,

I'm the proud new owner of CMBB and am enjoying it quite a lot. My question here is, I have an ATI Radeon 9800 Pro (256), and as mentioned in the FAQ's/Troubleshooting section, I'm probably having problems with fog graphics. I set up a test scenario (made one) that has fog in it (assuming I did everything right, of course), and I seem to have unlimited visibility. Now, my question is, does one see unlimited visibility in the game, yet the LOS will reflect the fog characteristics, or, should one be able to actually see the fog (i.e. restricted vis in the game when looking across the field)? I did select the "SHIFT+W" until I had "Fog/Weather=Extreme" but there was no difference. If it is the latter, does anyone know of any ways one can make the fog appear with this card (different drivers, etc.), short of buying a new video card (not totally out of the question)?

I'm asking this because one fellow I know has an ATI 9700 and he apparently does see fog, but I'm not sure if he has this game or not.

Glenn

Pressing shift+W doens't make a difference. The best way to know the LOS is to place a unit on the map and use the LOS tool to see how far it can see and to compare it with a none fog map.

Originally posted by Canuckgd:

Howdy folks,

Glenn

hey! I got an ATI Radeon pro 256 card a few months ago. After installing the card CMBB moved at a snails pace! After I updated the drivers to catalyst 4.8 the game works fine. I have no problem with fog but didn't check it before the catalyst driver upgrade. Maybe trying the latest drivers will help?

:confused:

good luck!

Patrocles --

When did you upgrade the driver? I'm in the same boat. I've upgraded drivers about 3 times since owning my machine which is about 3 years old (same card).

Same old story -- sometimes if fixes a problem with a certain game and causes a problem with another.

My plan is to just get rid of ATI and get a new card.

I got the 9800 XT latest Catalyst, no fog for me in this game never was even on my last comp with the 9700 TX - I have learned to live with it for CMBB since the enemy units are replaced by icons if you cant see them well, the game will even place the wrong models if you can see them but not well (misidentification) smile.gif

I must say my Radeon renders smoke and fog beautifully in other games and I wouldn't blame the card manufacturer but the game programmers instead, It would be easier for a company to cater to two most popular card companies, rather than the card companies catering to 200 ways game companies program their games IMHO. Pobody is Nerfect.

Note:Canuckgd, obviously you are from Canada and if you want to support your country you will stick with ATI since it is a Canadian company and stay away from Nvidia. I hate seeing the Nvidia splash screen at the beginning of games I purchase. It's like a conspiracy since the Radeon cards out perform equivalent Nvidia's in benchmarks.

sig.jpg

[ November 01, 2004, 06:32 PM: Message edited by: XOskeletal ]

Hmmm, I've got the Cat 4.9's installed, which I believe are the latest. What makes me most reluctant to switch though, is when I am running Flight Simulator 9.1, I've got all the fog and low vis I could want (down to just about 0 vis), so I suspect the comment made about it being the mfg of the game not working with the card rather than the other way around, is a reasonable one. I have heard that ATI does outperform most other graphics cards in most games, but have also heard (and experienced) some pretty poor customer support at times. I ran the Omega drivers for Radeon for quite some time in FS9 because of horrendous performance from the Radeon's drivers. Like it or not, NVidia does still seem to be the industry standard in many respects.

Thanks very much for the feedback here! It gives me a lot to think about and consider, but at least now it will be an educated decision. Much appreciated!

Glenn

Originally posted by Bannon DC:

Patrocles --

When did you upgrade the driver? I'm in the same boat. I've upgraded drivers about 3 times since owning my machine which is about 3 years old (same card).

Same old story -- sometimes if fixes a problem with a certain game and causes a problem with another.

My plan is to just get rid of ATI and get a new card.

I installed catalyst 4.8 in late September. However, I did not check if CMBB worked until early October after I installed Windows SP2. I assume it was the catalyst drivers and NOT Windows SP2 that fixed the problem.

Patrocles - my mistake. I just found out I have the Cat 4.7 drivers, not 4.9! I see the 4.10 drivers are now out. Do you see fog with your card? I also have SP2 installed, but CMBB runs fine with it (except no fog, of course). If you do get fog with your 4.8 drivers, I may give the 4.10's a shot, but I'm always timid about making changes to an already good-running system (except no fog, of course :( ). Thanks.

Glenn

ATI apparently leaves out Fog Table fog deliberately, in their Direct3D drivers.

Fog tables work in their OpenGL drivers on Windows and Linux and they work in their Rave drivers on MacOS, so it surely is no hardware issue.

How anybody can buy an ATI card after reading this forum is bejond me but to each his own smile.gif

How anybody can buy an ATI card after reading this forum is bejond me but to each his own
Well, all I can say is I wish I had got CMBB before I got my new computer last year :rolleyes: . Then I would have seen this forum. ATI was recommended to me at the time, but even then I was reluctant as I owned ATI before the last card I had (my last card being a Ti4200), and I had problems with it then. That's why I switched to NVidia. However, I got "convinced" that the Radeon Graphics were better (and at that time they may have been - I did see an improvement from my Ti4200, but probably an "apples to oranges" comparison there). It wasn't long after that though, that I had to switch to the Omega Radeon drivers because of very poor performance in Flight Simulator 9, and only recently switched back to the ATI drivers (had a reformat done because of a "tweak" that apparently the Radeon card takes great exception to :mad: ). I've debated going back to the Omega drivers, but I use this machine mainly for photo-editing on a semi-pro basis, so don't really want to upset the apple-cart at this point again. Right now it's working fine (after going back to the CAT 4.7 drivers), but first chance I get, I'll switch it out for an NVidia. Live and learn I guess, but it's an expensive lesson. Incidentally, ATI did give a "solution" to a failed install of their drivers, but it entails fairly extensive editing of the Registry. Sorry, just not going to do that, nor should one have to. When I get my new card, I'll do a reformat and start from scratch. :mad:

Glenn