Running out of ammo problem (operations) and night time

Hello, just tried my first opertation (the first listed operation, Russian 21st counterattack) and ran into a problem I haven't hit before with QB's. Played Axis (defender)

The Operation is 4 battles at 50!! turns each. First battle I won easily. Second one was at night and again won but with lots of close range inf fighting (as it's night) which burned off all my ammo.

Battle 3 comes around and I'v got most of my troops with little ammo. Tried to ambush only and keep battles short, but by turn 30 (which is a full length QB) I'm out and it's basically over. Now I wish they had a stockpile feature. Fall back to ammo stockpiles!

So what are you meant to do? Not fight at night and just retreat to conserve ammo?

Thanks

Pete.

Sorry it took so long for someone to get back to you Tontoman, but maybe I can help.

50 turns for an operation is way to long in my opinion for two reasons.

One reason is that in that much time you could beat your oponent and easily get to the other side of the map {no matter how long it is} and win in one battle of the operation if it is an assault operation.

Second is that you fight for 30 turns and then everyone is out of ammo and has nothing to do for the remaining 20 turns.

The reason your ammo is not replenishing is because the operation setting for supply must be less than full supply. Full supply means that if your rifle infantry fires all 50 shots at the start of the next battle he will be back up to 50 shots {IIRC}. There are lower settings of supply where you would only get 30, or 40 of those shots back. So if that squad is firing all of its ammo each battle, eventually it is going to be pretty darn low.

I wont play operations if the battle length is greater than 30 turns, and even then I prefer around 20 turns or so. Otherwise, things can go badly for you in one battle and you can never recover {atleast in assault operations}. If you do play a longer operation with longer battles {greater than 30 turns} then make sure that you have full supply.

Hope this helps.

Chad

I think I know the operation you are talking about, but since I am at work I am not sure.

Here is how I looked at it from the attacker point of view...

The time is the time, and one must follow the path of least resistence. I found a keyhole, and hit it and exploited it to move into the backfield.

With that much time, I had all the time in the world to sneak and get into position.

If I were on defense, find the focus and ambush points to hurt the attacker's most mobile units/longest range in ability to attack units. String them out as much as possible, and take small nips without extended engagements, 2 rounds and get out safely.

Just my opinion,

SgtAbell

Originally posted by Tontoman:

Hello, just tried my first opertation (the first listed operation, Russian 21st counterattack) and ran into a problem I haven't hit before with QB's. Played Axis (defender)

The Operation is 4 battles at 50!! turns each. First battle I won easily. Second one was at night and again won but with lots of close range inf fighting (as it's night) which burned off all my ammo.

Battle 3 comes around and I'v got most of my troops with little ammo. Tried to ambush only and keep battles short, but by turn 30 (which is a full length QB) I'm out and it's basically over. Now I wish they had a stockpile feature. Fall back to ammo stockpiles!

So what are you meant to do? Not fight at night and just retreat to conserve ammo?

Thanks

Pete.

I remember a night battle at viz 30m where a single crack plt of mech inf ('41) starting at 40% ammo caused 250+ casualties. It was behind wire and mines, and after 3 turns of shooting it abandoned it's positions. The rest of my forces never saw action, as I defended strongpoints and with 30m viz, you just don't get enough information about the axis of advance.

I doubt it is possible to hold a map in low viz - but you can trade space for blood in rear slope defence, making it easier the next day.

As the attacker, it is much easier to conserve ammo at night if you do not go for the kill but for terrain.

Ohh... something else may affect the ammo level: If your units start the setup (ie in their positions from the battle before) outside the deploy zone, they do not get resupplied. Simulates getting encircled or something. I repeatedly did this on the offense in a campaign I playtested. Bypassed Soviet forces, destroyed only what was in or close to the path of my advance... and even the ammo of their forward FOs (!) wasn't replenished :D:D . MGs low on ammo and ATRs sitting idle :D

For the defense: take your men back at the end of a battle if they need supplies and are too far forward!

Gruß

Joachim

For the defense: take your men back at the end of a battle if they need supplies and are too far forward!
In fact, same applies to an attack. Before an operation battle ends, take back some of your most forward units to make sure they get supplies.

Martin

Originally posted by Moon:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr /> For the defense: take your men back at the end of a battle if they need supplies and are too far forward!

In fact, same applies to an attack. Before an operation battle ends, take back some of your most forward units to make sure they get supplies.

Martin </font>

Originally posted by Chad Harrison:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Moon:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr /> For the defense: take your men back at the end of a battle if they need supplies and are too far forward!

Martin </font>