show a newbie the door....

Help! I'm trapped in a heavy building with my panzerfaust, trying to sneak out a back exit. But the computer keeps sending me out the front door into the heavy traffic on Schoenhauser Allee. Should I be able to tell just by looking at the screen where the entrances and stairs are? And is this part of the extreme fog of war--or just an extreme fog of my own?

There is no entrance or stairs per se. Infantry units can enter or exit from any side of any building with two exceptions:

1) They will not exit into a tile that is on fire

2) They cannot exit into an adjacent building if only a wall separates the two buildings. These are considered blockhouses in CM, and currently there is no way for an infantry unit to cross that wall.

So especially if you have two rows of houses the houses are traps. Once you know this, you will set up accordingly. But once the neighboring houses are rubble, you can move thru walls.

If your AT team is at least veteran or regular but in command, it is able to move thru the sewers (if the scen parameters allow for it).

The sewer move command only works when you are already in the lower level. You can not use it as a 2nd command (e.g. for a unit in the upper level it is move to lower level. Next turn issue the command "enter sewers". A sequence "move to lower level. Use sewers" in one turn is not possible.)

There is a risk that the unit gets lost in the sewers. Try short moves only - like entering an adjacent building.

Gruß

Joachim

Originally posted by Joachim:

So especially if you have two rows of houses the houses are traps. Once you know this, you will set up accordingly. But once the neighboring houses are rubble, you can move thru walls.

Can you? I recall you can't. (IMHO it would also be nice if units could move through "heavily damaged" building walls with the same speed as they cross a wall or maybe a tall hedge.)

Just another tidbit, factory tiles work differently and so if there is one next to a Heavy Building, units can move through the separating wall.

If confused, just try putting a waypoint on the wall. If you can't, it's impassable.