Making a Gewehr 43

The only thing that can be modded in the combat mission games is most of the skin artwork, which is in a bitmap form on the hardcoded entities in the game.

There is no way to change or add to the coding in the game engine, ie: say make a pantherII with the 88mm gun, or, as your asking, change say a mauser98 to function as a semi-auto gewehr 41/43.

One of the things that makes CM a very healthy medium for head-to-head play is that everyone is playing exactly the same game. You can modify the visuals to your heart's content, but you can't change any of the unit values. This means if two owners of the game who don't know each other start playing PBEM, there won't be any compatibility issues. It also means the unscrupulous can't go in and alter the ranges and combat values of their weapons.

One of the problems in games where you can make this kind of change is that a lot of modders take the "Wouldn't it be cool if..." approach, skimp on the research, and never bother to tell you exactly how historical or unhistorical their mod is. That's a real pain, and over time you end up with a host of competing versions of the game, most of them badly researched.

There will always be a few minor quibbles about how Battlefront does things, but by and large their research is state of the art. And far better and level-headed than that churned out (or ignored!) by your run-of-the-mill fifteen-year-old modder with too much time on his hands.

Regarding the earlier models of the semi-auto / sturmgewehr types of German weapons, AIUI, they were not produced in great numbers and were not delivered to the Wehrmacht in any amount of numbers. That said, AFAIK, a couple of the early development versions were common enough used by the Fallschirmjagar and given to some skilled snipers. Not sure about the SS, but then again there were quite a few Czech rifles used by a number of German units during the war, although with the same stats they could just be copy-modelled from the Rumanians I suppose, if one must.

(I haven't done any of that at all myself.) However, as well research as CM is I was suprised not to find anything extra in any German squads until the Sturmgewehr 44, especially when looking enviously at all those SVTs in Soviet squads. Since I like to employ some Fallschirmjagars when they are availiable, IMO it would be cool if those earlier development versions were included there at least. :cool:

[ August 26, 2005, 09:00 AM: Message edited by: Zalgiris 1410 ]

Wasn't the Gewehr 43 not produced in particularly great numbers? I suppose someone around here has some production figures. That could explain its absence.

EDIT: A quick search shows production to have been approximately 400,000. So, I guess that's not the reason.

[ August 26, 2005, 01:04 PM: Message edited by: Shmavis ]

Shmavis the machine carbine 43 was designated Gewehr 43/1 and changed to Sturmgewehr 44 after Hitler found out what it was and had a fit. He hadn't been in favour of the concept so some creative accounting categorised them as machine pistols, which as a bonus bumped up those production figures. Of course officers from the front gave the game away when they answered him that they wanted more of those good new rifles.

So I'm assuming that the figure of 400 000 Gewehr 43 refers to the same Sturmgewehr 44 as represented in CM, notice that they are included in some units from late 43.