Battlefront is now Slitherine ×

40 KILLS!

Just played a QB last night. I played German Luftwaffe Infantry vs. a Soviet Mechanized Assault. I ended up only having enough points for 2 platoons of infantry. I suspected that would'nt be enough but I gave it try anyway.

My anti-tank assets were able to handle the tanks that the AI threw at me, but late in the game I was literally swamped by an attack of two full companies of Soviet infantry. My 1st Platoon was completely overun but 2nd platoon held fast in their trenches. After the battle was over I was checking a squad from 1st platoon for kills.It was a Green squad and had been captured after taking 6 casualties, but these guys racked up 40 infantry kills before capture. I suppose the 4 remaining poor bastards are now on thier way to "cyber" Siberia...I'll be purchasing more infantry next time. All in all, a very realistic feeling Eastern Front experience.

I've noticed in many (most) battles there's only a few 'tip of the spear' unit who rack up high kill ratios, and the rest gets used as... well... cannon fodder. After your next battle check out the kills for that precious hvy mg you were so careful to protect. Not many kills at all, but it did its job in supression and area denialjust fine. It was that lowly reduced regular infantry squad with smgs & the veteran commander that did all the killing!

Originally posted by Michael Emrys:

If you only got two platoons of infantry, what did you spend the rest of your points on?

Michael

As I this was a Soviet armor assualt, I spent my points on a Marder 2 (the best I could afford given the points allowed), a 75mm PAK,

a 50mm PAK, a 75mm bunker, a wood machine gun bunker, lots of AT mines, some AP mines, 2 arty spotters, (75mm and 81mm mortar), and 2 target reference points for bore sighting. This was only a 1000 point game on a small map. The Marder and the 75mm AT gun were knocked out by an enemy air attack,

but they had aready done quite a bit of damage so it did'nt affect the outcome. The 75mm in the bunker knocked out 4 or 5 Soviet tanks and then started plugging away at the infantry. It survived the battle and I got my points worth out of it. I also did much damage to the Soviet infantry with the arty spotters towards the end of the game, but alas I had to fire pretty much on top of the 1st Platoon positions. There were not many of them left at any rate. The aforementioned squad with 40 kills was running around in "captured" status looking for cover from my own arty barrage!

I suppose I abused them pretty badly...

Originally posted by MikeyD:

I've noticed in many (most) battles there's only a few 'tip of the spear' unit who rack up high kill ratios, and the rest gets used as... well... cannon fodder. After your next battle check out the kills for that precious hvy mg you were so careful to protect. Not many kills at all, but it did its job in supression and area denialjust fine. It was that lowly reduced regular infantry squad with smgs & the veteran commander that did all the killing!

Absolutely! My 1st Platoon had a MG42 supporting thier position and it got very few kills if any, but I'm sure it helped that platoon out immensely with suppression.