Designers Note: Infantry smoke grenades, a source of smoke

commonly found in other WWII games is not available in

CMBB. Our research shows little credible evidence that this

type of smoke was used regularly at the squad level in WWII

for tactical purposes. Instead, it appears to have been used

for signalling mostly, and we have therefore decided to

exclude it from CMBB to prevent its potential unrealistic overuse.

CMBB manual page 18 (on the pdf anyway).

WarHawk,

Not only was it part of the toolkit for combat engineers on both sides, but German tactical instructions for tankhunters clearly show it to have been standard equipment. First button up the tank, blind it with smoke and gag the crew (Blendkorper 42), then attack it with Geballte Ladung (grenade bundle), Teller mine, Hohlladung (magnetic hollow charge bomb), satchel charge, or what have you. Smoke grenades would be handy indeed crossing streets, particularly when we get narrow roads and trails more typical of European towns than the present Champs Elysee/autobahn road, whether paved or dirt.

Regards,

John Kettler

Gents,

I agree that smoke was used by German troops when assaulting Soviet tanks. See Alex Buchner's "German Infantry Handbook." However, it seems that the entire game mechanism for squads to assault armored vehicles is somewhat abstracted. That level of abstraction may well include the use of blinding and choking smoke grenades. Therefore, I do not think adding a special smoke grenade capability would be worthwhile.

Ken

John Kettler and disigners,

I can see the pro and cons. Yet at this level of tactical play you are happering leg type units. Smoke was used not only to take out tanks by blinding them, aslo pillboxes, MG nests and a like. I was one weapon infantry had to give them cover in advaces and assualts.

How long does artillery smoke last. Smoke grenades would not last as long. Fire though smoke as a lesser degree.