Help with AARs ?

Hello,

Can some please explain to me the proper way to do AARs.I have a good military mind when playing the game,but when it comes to explaining why i did what,well,i cant.Atleast not in any understandable manner.

I put together a decent little AAR,with like 7 screenshots in it.Screenshots are the best way to show what im thinking without having to explain it with words.The problem though,i only have the little ms paint program,and i dont know what to save them as.In addition,i dont have ms word(to my knowledge),i only have wordpad and notepad.The "little" AAR that i put together with wordpad turned out to be 40+mb in size :eek: .All i want are overhead/high angle pics to show where i have what,and what they are going to be doing.So now what?

How do i use smaller screenshots(smaller as in file size)?If i save them a .jpg they wont work in wordpad,if i save as .bmp they will work,but if you dont want them to look weird they have to be like 32 bit and as a result,huge.Do i even need pictures?

Is it even possible to do AARs without the ability to spew forth military jargon?I have to come up with some ability to do them.

Thanks,and any answers are helpful!

Use html (webpages), not word or wordpad file format. You can use wordpad to edit html, though.

gif, jpeg and png are compressing file formats for pictures. gif is limited to 256 colors and hence usually not suitable for game screenshots. jpeg has quality loss in the compression, you have to inspect the result whether it is acceptable. png is a format which compresses without loss and can be read by all modern web browsers. The files are bigger than jpegs and not all programs can write png.

[ April 18, 2003, 09:49 PM: Message edited by: redwolf ]

look for a program called bmptojpg... if you're using win98 mspaint only supports .bmp ... if you have winME then the notepad supports .jpg too... if memory serves...

use a little html for posting aars on the web

find out how to embed pictures and such...

when using bmptojpg... notice the default quality is 50%... set it higher for better jpgs... if you have ME and the mspaint which supports jpg, you can just save as the .jpg file type...

edit... yes the default, high-resolution .bmp files produced by mspaint are HUGE... that's the main reason why you ended up with a 40mb wordpad file...

[ April 19, 2003, 12:45 AM: Message edited by: manchildstein II ]

Nevermind,

I suggest trying IrfanView for your graphics files. Its freeware and can handle most graphics file types and can do the majority of editing functions.

I'm using Paintshop Pro (trial version) - but only because it has a few features that I've wanted to use.

I still IrfanView for most basic editing ... because its much smaller that Paintshop and its FREE.

You'll also find some freeware html editors here ... HTML editors .. Web dwarf and Trellian are WYSIWYG editors and look easy to use ....

I'm hoping to put my AAR up on the web once the battle is over so I've downloaded both but not tried them yet.

Originally posted by nevermind:

Thank you all very much!This is all very helpful! smile.gif

[EDIT]

I should add though...these wont be on the web,i am having to send them to someone,will that affect what format they should be in?

If its for off line viewing and you want to include graphics you may get away with wordpad .. but it isnt ideal. You will probably need MS Word, HTML or PDF type files.

If you want to read & write MS Office compatible files (without MS Office) you could try this ...

Office alternative Its 100% free. However the whole suite is about 17mb to download, but shouldnt be too bad with a download manager running.

Much smaller than MS Office but with all the functions most 'non-business'users are likely to ever use.