Airstrikes and gun damage

Hi there.

In a recent scenario I had a Stuka drop a 250 kg bomb quite close to 3 russian tanks, distance from impact from 25-100 m. Anyways, they all got shocked , but further more, they all got gun damage. I would suspect that the risk for track damage (immobilization) would be far more likeliy than gun damage.

In RL, how easy/difficult would it for a tank to be gun damage, from my readings it doesnt seem like a big problem. Tracks on the other hand..

Have anyone elese experienced "excessive" gun damage from airstrkes?

Originally posted by Boo_Radley:

Yeah, but a jammed turret wouldn't stop a tank from being able to fire would it?

Not totally, but it would make it pretty damn difficult to hit anything except maybe a large object (such as a building) at close range. Traversing of the gun could be done by rotating the hull, but this is good for rough bearing only - to make minor adjustments in traverse, you need to be able to use the fine rotation controls of the turret. Even if the gun were already sighted in on a target, the blow that knocked the turret off the ring presuably would have also knocked the gun off target, meaning without the ability to re-lay the gun, you'd probably miss.

Another possibility is that the mantlet could get jammed, meaning that the turret could still rotate, but that the gun would be stuck at a certain elevation. This would make the gun capable of firing at only one trajectory, rendering it basically useless, although I suppose a particularly inventive tanker probably could use something like a variably inclined slope to try to change the angle of the hull and therefore the gun as well. Tactics like that belong more in the realm of "it could have happened once", though.

I suppose it might be a further refinement of realism in CM to have an additional, less severe category of gun damage for AFVs - "Gun Aiming/Sighting mechanics damaged - area fire only possible", which would still allow a tank to chuck HE in a general direction, but would render it pretty much worthless for engaging other AFVs or point targets.

Whatever the case, I'm getting my Gun Damaged AFVs the hell out of dodge to save the points. . .

Cheers,

YD

Originally posted by JP Jones:

B) your sig rambles on far to long.

Your post tells me your a Bush fan! smile.gif

Anyhow, I know all the "gun damage" stuff is abstracted, but really, it happens so often. Wouldt track damage be more frequent? I would think so. As it stands now I get gun damage more often than track damage. It seems a bit strange methinks.