Anti-tank Rifles

Yeah, I certainly can't claim the idea as my own. A number of old Pen and Paper games that I used to play had some sort of "critical hit" concept. It was especially a feature of Naval Warfare games since the likelihood of any one salvo sinking an enemy vessel outright was pretty small, but the most direct hits cause some sort of damage. The HMS Hood notwitstanding, battlships tend to die bit by bit, not all at once. Properly implemented, it would be a nice addition to the CM model and you could even model the gradual loss of function caused by things like oil line hits, or relatively small fires. In fact, this might be what's missing from the current Molotov Cocktail modeling - the chance that, over time, the burning liquid will seep in and damage something important.

Imagine the stress caused by seeing a "Rear penetration, damage to engine - losing oil" for a high value AFV like a Tiger. You know that sooner or later, your engine is will probably konk out. Do you continue to engage in the hopes of eliminating the enemy threat before you lose power or try to withdraw and fight another day? Such is the stuff great gaming moments are made from.

We shall see. I'm sure BFC has lots of surprises in store for us with the new model. . .

Cheers,

YD

• 1 year later...
  • Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yankee Dog - you don't need to track such minutae. Just give an ATR a small but real chance of causing gun damage or immobilization. 0.5 to 1% would be sufficient. Right now they have none - I've tested it by hitting the same vehicle with 1000 rounds. If there were a 0.5 to 1% chance of M-kill or GD, people would avoid sitting under ATR fire. But it would still take scores of hits to have any realistic prospect of actually damaging a vehicle this way. That would track progressive damage just fine.

Originally posted by coe:

A few things - in real life were ATRs hard to spot...I have tanks with infantry accompanying them and no-one can spot the ATR... (did the Germans actually use captured 14.5 mm Soviet ATRs - and is that modelled in CMBB?)

Conan

It's not modelled, but captured soviet ATRs where used quite a lot by the germans, until the end of the war.