Splash screen change... how to do it?

If I understand the question correctly, just copy bmp's 11001 and 11002 from your CD. You'll probably have to change the properties to use them (done by right-clikcking on the copy of the file and left-clicking on the last item on the menu) though I can't remember why (having a couple of read-only files in the bmp folder might cause some confusion).

Having a back-up copy of the original bmp folder in reserve somewhere is very useful, though it takes up a lot of room. What you might want to do is to copy your existing folder and paste it somewhere safe (i.e. not in a cmbb directory), perform a re-install, put (or copy) the new original bmp folder somewhere safe (but not in the same place as the first or it will copy over it), then reinsert your current bmp folder which you had already moved back into the newly missing blank spot. And if you understood any of that, please explain it to me because I don't...

There are a dozen ways to go about it, any of them should work. I find it useful to make folders of the originals when I replace them with a mod, which is why CMMOS is so useful (provided it is set up to restore the missing textures). I plan to start trying out the interface mods (and make a few of my own) as soon as I figure out what needs to be backed up.

I've done that. I need to make sure I've downloaded all of them (not hard, there aren't that many) because I was thinking of writing a ruleset eventually (but don't quote me). I've just started looking at CMBB and am a bit overwhelmed by how much there is to be done. Not quite sure where to start. I also suspect that a lot of things were permanently lost in the crash.